Interstellar General Information

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
Insomniac wrote:
He began working without wasting time on the draft that Jonah Nolan had penned for Steven Spielberg to simply incorporate some of his own original ideas.
Doubt it. What, C. Nolan threw way J. Nolan's draft and wrote an entirely new screenplay in just a few months?
I think the article is confusing, he might be meaning to say that Nolan began working without wasting time, based on the script J. Nolan had penned for Spielberg to incorporate his own ideas.

If he were to write entirely new script and throw away Jonathan's script then why bother going to Paramount and make complex deal.

Dragon_316ca wrote:Sterling K. Brown's audition tape:
Felt like I have seen him somewhere and turns out he was in Person of Interest. :clap:

He's pretty good :)

o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:
Does anyone know where that dialogue's from?
Presumably from the new Interstellar script.

Also, I like his audition. I'd love to see him as a scientist in the film.

EnzoTheBaker wrote:
o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:
Does anyone know where that dialogue's from?
Presumably from the new Interstellar script.

Also, I like his audition. I'd love to see him as a scientist in the film.
That's what I figured. If it's true, I'm curious how this fits in. Just like I did with the first audition tape, I converted what was said into a somewhat cohesive transcript if anyone wants to read it.
Scientist: At the moment, all we have are theories, concepts, inspirations - inconclusive results.
Government Agent: I’m not very good at fairytales, so just give me the happy ending.
Scientist: What I wrote is possible - probably inevitable. Separate the uranium and arrange for two portions of the element to come together certainly, and with a resulting mass no bigger than this... (makes a fist) ...it undergoes a spontaneous, self-generating reaction.
Government Agent: What about using plutonium?
Scientist: The plutonium makes a lot of new *inaudible* but the spontaneous fission rate is way too high - the reaction will run away with itself; it'll just fizzle away.
Government Agent: So how do we generate a larger reaction using the uranium?
Scientist: A slug of uranium, about two inches, will be pulled by this weight - it begins here, then accelerates at feet per second per second. Now, once it passes between the two uranium bricks, there is an instant of criticality: for a split second, there is a chain reaction - as close as we come to an atomic explosion in a lab.
Government Agent: How much will we need for a large scale detonation?
Scientist: Perhaps we can find another use for this work... We are already winning the war.
Government Agent: What do you think the enemy is doing? Shooting squirrels?
Scientist: No. They are not shooting squirrels, and that is not the issue.
Government Agent: What is the issue?
Scientist: They don’t have the technology; they’re not capable of it.
Government Agent: That’s called the advantage.
Scientist: Maybe. Or maybe it’s just the beginning of the end of us all.

That's what I figured. If it's true, I'm curious how this fits in. Just like I did with the first audition tape, I converted what was said into a somewhat cohesive transcription if anyone wants to read it.
Scientist: At the moment, all we have are theories, concepts, inspirations - inconclusive results.
Government Agent: I’m not very good at fairytales, so just give me the happy ending.
Scientist: What I wrote is possible - probably inevitable. Separate the uranium and arrange for two portions of the element to come together certainly, and with a resulting mass no bigger than this... (makes a fist) ...it undergoes a spontaneous, self-generating reaction.
Government Agent: What about using plutonium?
Scientist: The plutonium makes a lot of new *inaudible* but the spontaneous fission rate is way too high - the reaction will run away with itself; it'll just fizzle away.
Government Agent: So how do we generate a larger reaction using the uranium?
Scientist: A slug of uranium, about two inches, will be pulled by this weight - it begins here, then accelerates at feet per second per second. Now, once it passes between the two uranium bricks, there is an instant of criticality: for a split second, there is a chain reaction - as close as we come to an atomic explosion in a lab.
Government Agent: How much will we need for a large scale detonation?
Scientist: Perhaps we can find another use for this work... We are already winning the war.
Government Agent: What do you think the enemy is doing? Shooting squirrels?
Scientist: No. They are not shooting squirrels, and that is not the issue.
Government Agent: What is the issue?
Scientist: They don’t have the technology; they’re not capable of it.
Government Agent: That’s called the advantage.
Scientist: Maybe. Or maybe it’s just the beginning of the end of us all.
[/quote]

I can tell you, this is not in the "original" Johan Nolan script many of us read about a month back.

The Special One wrote: I can tell you, this is not in the "original" Johan Nolan script many of us read about a month back.
Yeah, I read it too. The dialogue here (and the implications of said dialogue) are a pretty radical departure from anything in the original Jonah script. I've been letting it turn over in my mind all day, thinking about what it could mean, and I'm at a total loss.

Theories anyone?

i really hope that this movie will be a return for nolan to his roots. the last two movies he worked on have been disappointments.

nah man

o SHAKESPEARE o wrote:
The Special One wrote: I can tell you, this is not in the "original" Johan Nolan script many of us read about a month back.
Yeah, I read it too. The dialogue here (and the implications of said dialogue) are a pretty radical departure from anything in the original Jonah script. I've been letting it turn over in my mind all day, thinking about what it could mean, and I'm at a total loss.

Theories anyone?
This is much more in depth and interesting. You knew Chris Nolan was going to turn the original script into something that could be very special.