My brief thoughts on this film

The 2006 film about rival magicians desperately trying to learn the secrets of each others tricks.
rbevanx wrote:
MOVIELORD101 wrote:
Eternalist wrote:I don't see how you felt there was no tension between the main characters since that was probably the strongest defining aspect of the movie.

It's meant to be confusing, it's one of those movies where if you took a bathroom break, you'd be lost. I probably like that the most about the film though.

But, I can understand why you'd be confused by the machine aspect. To this day I'm not entirely sure if I've got it figured out myself.

Maybe if you could further elaborate on your criticisms then I could address them.
By the time the machine came around, the movie just a little too confusing enough for me to feel the tension. In fact, the machine confused me even MORE when we see the scene from the beginning again with Jackman's chracter drowning, and the he shows up again with a mustache, making me almost want to scream out "WHAT THE HELL?! WE JUST SAW HIM DIE! HOW DID HE SURVIVE, AND, IF NOT, WHO IS THIS GUY?!". The bit with the many clones in the jars didn't help things either. :|
The machine gave two versions of Angier (real Angier and a clone). The one with the mastache Lord Cordlow (I think that was his name) is his real name and his real identidy. Robert Angier is a fake identidy/stage name so his familt wouldn't be embarrsed.
Ohhhh. Ok, NOW that makes sense! :)

MOVIELORD101 wrote:
Eternalist wrote:I don't see how you felt there was no tension between the main characters since that was probably the strongest defining aspect of the movie.

It's meant to be confusing, it's one of those movies where if you took a bathroom break, you'd be lost. I probably like that the most about the film though.

But, I can understand why you'd be confused by the machine aspect. To this day I'm not entirely sure if I've got it figured out myself.

Maybe if you could further elaborate on your criticisms then I could address them.
By the time the machine came around, the movie just a little too confusing enough for me to feel the tension. In fact, the machine confused me even MORE when we see the scene from the beginning again with Jackman's chracter drowning, and the he shows up again with a mustache, making me almost want to scream out "WHAT THE HELL?! WE JUST SAW HIM DIE! HOW DID HE SURVIVE, AND, IF NOT, WHO IS THIS GUY?!". The bit with the many clones in the jars didn't help things either. :|
:eh: I think you got the point of the scene.

Eternalist wrote:
MOVIELORD101 wrote:

:eh: I think you got the point of the scene.
I do now, actually. Lol :lol:

I don't know how many times you have seen this film, but it is so much better a second time. Once you know the ending you can be looking for hints and clues that Nolan leaves about it. It made me realize how complete and well laid out the story was. Like I always say with Nolan films, they get better the more you watch them and that is a big compliment.

theweatherman wrote:I don't know how many times you have seen this film, but it is so much better a second time. Once you know the ending you can be looking for hints and clues that Nolan leaves about it. It made me realize how complete and well laid out the story was. Like I always say with Nolan films, they get better the more you watch them and that is a big compliment.
Fair enough. I've only seen it once thus far, and that was when it was in the theaters.

rbevanx wrote:

I have a gut feeling it's because of the use of Non-Linear that MOVIELORD101 found the film confusing. It can be hard to follow for people who are not use to it.
Good luck with Memento then MOVIELORD101 :lol:
And...don't forget Following.
I love The Prestige the first time I watchet it. For me, is one of Nolan's best after Memento.
But I have a couple of friends who didn't get it the first time either (or the second...).
What love about Nolan is that he don't take things for granted and don't make movies for dummies. You need to use that stuff that you have in your brain, you know.

my problem is hugh jackman..

Christopher Nolan wrote:my problem is hugh jackman..
Yeah, he was a little too subtle in that film. Sorry, guys.

Hugh Jackman was good in the film :shock:

prestige is a very linear film

it's just told like a magic trick...you fall for the trick

nolan disguises a a very important piece of information from you, and you fall for the magic