Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 23rd, 2023, 3:45 am
physicshistoryguy wrote:
September 22nd, 2023, 1:13 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 22nd, 2023, 3:38 am
i would bet some cash that Mendes is eyeing up a movie about either Stalisnav Petrov or Vasili Arkhipov for some time next year, and if Deakins is up for im then im also up to seeing that haha.
Hmm, well I don't know much about either, but I don't know if there's enough in their biographies to warrant a full film. A film about Petrov would just be about the one event essentially; I guess you could make a film about the events of 1983 in general to put it in context, but I'm not sure if there's enough of a cohesive arc through those events for it to be interesting to general audiences. Likewise, a film about Arkhipov would just be about the one event, although his involvement in a radiation leak on a submarine the year before would provide more material to work with, but I don't know if it'd be enough to justify a feature length film. The larger Cuban Missile Crisis as a whole would have enough material for a film, but there you'd have the opposite problem of having too much to try and cram into one movie, so I dunno.
your points are absolutely correct barring just one thing, fictionalization, Oppenheimer and the films like it lean on being faithful to the original stories, to one degree or another, but there are plenty of films that are just inspired by actual historical events, they could even come up with a composite character of sorts, im not saying it would be the best option, but i think there are cards in the table for those stories.
Sure, and that may very well be what they ultimately do; it's just that, in this context at least, I'd prefer they make more of an attempt to be faithful to the real stories. :P

nisarshaikh wrote:
September 21st, 2023, 11:26 am
I'm not sure if we'll see more biopics or historical movies, but we'll definitely be getting more (large scale) movies for adult audiences (especially 40+).

Oppenheimer and other films leading up to it (ex: Elvis, Top Gun: Maverick) were key in bringing back adult audiences to the theaters, post COVID. A very underserved demographic.

I know Top Gun had people of all ages, but a lot of 40+ year old people came back to the theaters post COVID for that movie, and now Oppenheimer is in that same camp as well.

Studious probably look at this and realize that they need to make large scale movies for adults as well. I hope Killers of the Flower Moon does great because if it does, then it'll continue to make the studious even more confident in this.
Over here in the UK, it seems like KOTFM is getting a wide release. Despite going to Apple TV and my assumption being that it would only play at smaller cinemas in the UK, it's being advertised at VUE. Digital posters, trailer in the main arena, even a physical big poster put up. It's gonna come here and I think beyond the talent involved, it's because they've got confidence that people will come and watch it. And whilst I don't think it'll make back it's money, the fact that they're trying at all today with a 206 min Scorsese movie about a horrific true set of crimes is very reassuring to me.

Bale Fan wrote:
September 29th, 2023, 1:56 am
natalie wrote:
September 28th, 2023, 6:27 pm
Will ‘Oppenheimer’ Hit $1 Billion? Inside Christopher Nolan’s Historic Box Office Run

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/oppe ... 235735537/
needs $74 million more to hit $1B… so close yet so far away 😂
The fact that we are playfully speculating how it could get those 74 more millions to reach 1B, just goes to show what an absolute triumph this has been, im still in disbelief, i was thinking it would make 400-500 worldwide and here we are.

I don’t see how it will. A release in Japan and Russia would have (probably) net it around 30M and it would still need a breakout in either China or South Korea that didn’t happen.

numbers look great. isn't there a topic for Blu-ray/4k release date?