Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Innovator wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 12:58 pm
I feel like you are purposely choosing to focus on the few more negative reactions when there have been countless positive French reactions already posted.

Yes, there are some mixed responses amidst the overall great first impressions. And those will continue to appear when the review embargo lifts, it comes with every Nolan release (even Dunkirk for example). And while the tides can obviously change, so far reception is looking promising. Let's focus on keeping things positive when there are no motives to think otherwise.
Please. Don't feed him.

natalie wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:02 pm
Innovator wrote:
I feel like you are purposely choosing to focus on the few more negative reactions when there have been countless positive French reactions already posted.

Yes, there are some mixed responses amidst the overall great first impressions. And those will continue to appear when the review embargo lifts, it comes with every Nolan release (even Dunkirk for example). And while the tides can obviously change, so far reception is looking promising. Let's focus on keeping things positive when there are no motives to think otherwise.
Please. Don't feed him.
My bad, you have a point

Innovator wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:09 pm
natalie wrote:
Innovator wrote:

Please. Don't feed him.
My bad, you have a point
I mean. We try to celebrate a new Nolan Film. Don't waste our energy in trolls like him.

Simply discussing what certain groups of critics may feel based on some reactions apparently means that I think that makes them more special than any other group of critics and I’m the troll?

The delusion is off the charts

MaxContract wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:29 pm
Simply discussing what certain groups of critics may feel based on some reactions apparently means that I think that makes them more special than any other group of critics and I’m the troll?

The delusion is off the charts
They weren't talking about you.

natalie wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:12 pm
Innovator wrote:
natalie wrote:

Please. Don't feed him.
My bad, you have a point
I mean. We try to celebrate a new Nolan Film. Don't waste our energy in trolls like him.
I don’t think he is trolling. Just pointed it out that this isn’t going to get universal praise

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:42 pm
natalie wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:12 pm
Innovator wrote:

My bad, you have a point
I don’t think he is trolling. Just pointed it out that this isn’t going to get universal praise
I'm not talkin about @MaxContract ;)

MaxContract wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 12:35 pm
Time wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 12:26 pm
Feels like the French are divisive based off those. Hopefully broader reception is more aligned with English speaking critics.
I think that first French critic gives me the vibes of how certain New York critics may feel from like a Slant Magazine, New Yorker, Vulture, etc.
You keep bringing this up, but one of Vulture's chief critics, Bilge Ebiri, was one of the earliest raves.

That said, as I hinted previously, I don't quite expect universal raves either. Although I'd love it if it gets them.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:44 pm
MaxContract wrote:
Time wrote:
Feels like the French are divisive based off those. Hopefully broader reception is more aligned with English speaking critics.
I think that first French critic gives me the vibes of how certain New York critics may feel from like a Slant Magazine, New Yorker, Vulture, etc.
You keep bringing this up, but one of Vulture's chief critics, Bilge Ebiri, was one of the earliest raves.

That said, as I hinted previously, I don't quite expect universal raves either. Although I'd love it if it gets them.

-Vader
Bilge Ebiri is a big Nolan fan so he's predisposed to liking his work.

Vader182 wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 1:44 pm
MaxContract wrote:
Time wrote:

-Vader
I know not all of them are like that. Bilge and David Sims especially are very big fans of Nolan’s work. But I think after that, quite a lot of the NY critics range from neutral (NY Times, Vulture, NY Mag) to negative (Richard Brody, Edelstein, Slant Magazine) on his work.

I don’t expect universal raves. I don’t think Nolan’s ever gotten that