Oppenheimer - Opening Look

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Ace wrote:
July 13th, 2023, 12:05 pm

OH MY GOD THIS IS TOO MUCH. I MUST... AVOID... WATCHING THE WHOLE THING

Truly amazing

Nolan speaks highly of Jennifer Lame and he was interested in a working with her after watching Hereditary. Her name is also mentioned in the YouTube description of this new preview of the film? What is her editing style? What are her strengths and weaknesses and how does she compare to Lee Smith?

For the first time ever, I'm hesitant to watch something promoting Chris new movie.
I don't know, can anyone help me decide?

Oku
If you've seen all the other trailers, then this is safe to watch. It's nowhere near the level of TENET's idiotic final trailer that spoiled everything.

Here are my seven takes on this:

1. The opening shot of the road with the motorcycle looks like it will be the actual opening of the film, and that is immeasurably disappointing.

The absolute peak Nolan classics have impeccable opening shots. Think The Dark Knight's breathtaking opening shot of the buildings that triumphantly introduced IMAX to the world.

Think Dunkirk's beautiful opening shot of soldiers walking down an eerily silent French street as terrifying leaflets fall on them like snow.

When I saw how pedestrian the opening shot in the TENET prologue was, I was desperately hoping that that wouldn't be the actual opening shot, but alas it was. And the disappointing opening shot served as a pretty accurate barometer? microcosm? of the rest of the film.

I love TENET to death, but it's just not a classic on the level of The Dark Knight, and Dunkirk. It's just not.

2. The music sounds too similar to TENET's? At around the minute mark, I kept expecting Mr. (Travis) Scott's voice to start blasting my ears at any moment.

3. At multiple points, the dialogue is inaudible and I had to rewind and replay several times to understand what was said. With some lines, I still have no idea what was uttered. It's disappointing to see that Mr. Nolan hasn't listened to the feedback at all.

4. The dialogue starts off incredible, but then becomes really clunky and badly-written.

5. I'm so, so, so sick of hearing that "Are we saying there's a chance..." bit. I get that this is the CinemaCon footage so it's months old and not their fault, but still. So sick of hearing it.

6. IMO, it was unnecessary to release this. The hype is already as high as it'll ever be. They should have saved this for the second week or something.

7. For the first minute or so, I mistakenly thought that this was the actual opening few minutes of the film. I was thinking to myself, "Wow, this must be what the critics meant regarding the incredibly dense pacing", until I realized that it was a trailer... :lol:

Retskrad wrote:
July 13th, 2023, 12:56 pm
Nolan speaks highly of Jennifer Lame and he was interested in a working with her after watching Hereditary. Her name is also mentioned in the YouTube description of this new preview of the film? What is her editing style? What are her strengths and weaknesses and how does she compare to Lee Smith?
She's a fantastic editor. I mean just off of seeing Hereditary and Marriage Story, her editing is very clean cut and precise and she knows how to make a movie flow. Like in Hereditary she's so good at keeping that slow tension.

Even from Tenet, as nonsense as the script is, the editing is super clean cut and precise and the the movie flows quite well for a 2.5 hr runtime. Mind you her first ever project with Nolan was Tenet so if she was able to take on the challenge of editing that movie then she will do great with Oppenheimer.

Watched it...

Definitely avoid it if you can for maximum theatrical freshness. But wow. This truly is a special film and I cannot wait for next Thursday.

Looks amazing! And the OST is somenting like Dunkirk meets TENET.

this trailer hits harder than any other Nolan trailer period, im lost for words.

Would anyone happen to have the ProRes version of this? That YouTube compression is killing me...