Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
A Borges man wrote:
December 12th, 2022, 10:30 pm
El Especial wrote:
December 12th, 2022, 9:03 pm
A Borges man wrote:
December 12th, 2022, 8:20 pm

Right, right. I just re-read the book, and it doesn't mention any sort of interaction between between Kitty and Robert about Jean. But, it makes sense Nolan would have to extrapolate or adjust certain things to sell the drama. The court room stuff is gonna be fire, Blunt has some really meat to chew on, it'll be her show case. Weird how the other cast members arent featured yet. I wanna see all the hommies.
That's no small task at a very dense 721 pages. If the film is as good as the book Nolan would have just painted his masterpiece.
Rereading it, there is so much dramatic potential and fascinating avenues to explore. Also the genres that are integral: war store, thriller, espionage, courtroom drama, romantic tragedy. IT's funny, I watched the Paul Newman movie, and while it had a few good moments, I was shocked how underwhelming it was, and the show Manhattan was too much made up nonsense that seemed to side step all the goods. I'm so excited, and it's gonna allow for a larger conversation about Nolan's relationship to technology; a theme that has run through all of his flicks, even if he tells this linearly (which I doubt), his narrative themes are all there. I think performances are gonna be key in this thing, the characters are very rich, I think if he goes for a like Portrait of lady (reference the James novel) or Roshomon and like used the individual characters as POVs, we get to see Oppenheimer through the eyes of all the characters. The thing that makes the book so amazing is the amount of testemonies from the major players their are, and how much everyone contradicts each other, it creates a tapestry of very human people.
Charles Roven described the script as more of a thriller. This is looking extremely promising.

El Especial wrote:
A Borges man wrote:
EOLB wrote:
December 12th, 2022, 8:05 pm

His hair is already turning gray by then and the other stills of the hearing are in black and white. This one has to be from earlier in the film.
Right, right. I just re-read the book, and it doesn't mention any sort of interaction between between Kitty and Robert about Jean. But, it makes sense Nolan would have to extrapolate or adjust certain things to sell the drama. The court room stuff is gonna be fire, Blunt has some really meat to chew on, it'll be her show case. Weird how the other cast members arent featured yet. I wanna see all the hommies.
That's no small task at a very dense 721 pages. If the film is as good as the book Nolan would have just painted his masterpiece.
The book is what gets me so excited about the movie. A fun and interesting read even with the length.

A Borges man wrote:
El Especial wrote:
A Borges man wrote:

Rereading it, there is so much dramatic potential and fascinating avenues to explore. Also the genres that are integral: war store, thriller, espionage, courtroom drama, romantic tragedy. IT's funny, I watched the Paul Newman movie, and while it had a few good moments, I was shocked how underwhelming it was, and the show Manhattan was too much made up nonsense that seemed to side step all the goods. I'm so excited, and it's gonna allow for a larger conversation about Nolan's relationship to technology; a theme that has run through all of his flicks, even if he tells this linearly (which I doubt), his narrative themes are all there. I think performances are gonna be key in this thing, the characters are very rich, I think if he goes for a like Portrait of lady (reference the James novel) or Roshomon and like used the individual characters as POVs, we get to see Oppenheimer through the eyes of all the characters. The thing that makes the book so amazing is the amount of testemonies from the major players their are, and how much everyone contradicts each other, it creates a tapestry of very human people.
Interesting to see opinions on these other pieces of media about the same story. I get the sense that this will do the non-linear approach but I wonder if it'll be Oppenheimer's POV on others or others POV on Oppenheimer. I hope it'll be the former so that Cillian doesn't end up feeling like a supporting character again.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 12th, 2022, 11:25 pm
A Borges man wrote:
El Especial wrote:

Interesting to see opinions on these other pieces of media about the same story. I get the sense that this will do the non-linear approach but I wonder if it'll be Oppenheimer's POV on others or others POV on Oppenheimer. I hope it'll be the former so that Cillian doesn't end up feeling like a supporting character again.
Which ever approach is taken, trust me there is no way Oppenheimer, Murphy, will be dwarfed in his own story, everything in this story, from person, political, historical, scientific, is pulled in by the density of character. This will be the second Nolan film about a blackhole, you can't escape Oppenheimer (who also did a lot of very important theoretical research on Blackholes, most of his findings where only confirmed in the last 30 years).

Also, I'm surprised we haven't all asked the important question:
IS Kip gonna assist in the proceedings? (I believe Kip was Feynman's protege, which would be even more interesting considering Han Solo jr. is playing him).

Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 12th, 2022, 11:25 pm
A Borges man wrote:
El Especial wrote:

That would be very interesting

I'm also still curious about how he recreated the Trinity Test (which I assume will be the sole moment of us seeing a nuke go off, I feel like Hiroshima will be left offscreen) without CGI (He still did it with the help of a visual effects supervisor also). I think we won't see the test in the traditional overhead clear shot of a mushroom cloud.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 13th, 2022, 11:00 am
I'm also still curious about how he recreated the Trinity Test (which I assume will be the sole moment of us seeing a nuke go off, I feel like Hiroshima will be left offscreen) without CGI (He still did it with the help of a visual effects supervisor also). I think we won't see the test in the traditional overhead clear shot of a mushroom cloud.
mushroom clouds arent exclusive to nuclear detonations, any explosion that is large and hot enough will produce a mushroom cloud, my curiosity lies more on the first moments of the detonation, nuclear blasts tend to be spherical for the first few moments, like a miniature sun, i wonder if they where able to capture that sort of imagery.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
December 13th, 2022, 6:44 pm
Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 13th, 2022, 11:00 am
mushroom clouds arent exclusive to nuclear detonations, any explosion that is large and hot enough will produce a mushroom cloud, my curiosity lies more on the first moments of the detonation, nuclear blasts tend to be spherical for the first few moments, like a miniature sun, i wonder if they where able to capture that sort of imagery.
I didn't know that or if I did know never committed it to memory. The flash will be easy, just with a white-out cut and/or a huge spotlight that turns on suddenly and goes down you can produce a blur of light.

Ace

What is happening in this poster?