TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I almost forgot Timothée Chalamet was in Interstellar.

KEM wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 8:40 pm
Vader182 wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 8:30 pm
it's a good line because it's cheesy, its not in competition with cassavetes for verite naturalism

-Vader
I mean he has one liners like that, but I’m talking about whole stretches of dialogue or speeches that are total unrealistic, like when you watch a Marvel movie and the hero gives this big uplifting speech and stuff like that, it feels so inauthentic, but Nolan doesn’t really do that, it feels like conversations people would actually have, not some fantastical larger than life, trying to be witty kind of thing
I don't think it's that obvious what constitutes as 'good or bad dialogue'. Being naturalistic can mean a hundred different things, and the word 'realistic' has been abused for the past few decades anyway, so I wouldn't set it as a standard for good writing.

You could say something like 'authenticity', and I think it's close to the one standard I usually set when I'm watching any kind of movie, listening to any kind of dialogue: being consistent within its own world. When I really think about it, Nolan's dialogues can come off as really forced and cheesy on many occasions. I'm not talking about one-liners only, entire scenes can be written in less than elegant ways, but I would lie to you if I sad it bothered me.

The actors are partly responsible for this, I think. Think of the first season of True Detective: McConaughey spews out the most pretentious and tiring lines, but it works because the actor makes it work. (I'm not saying the writing is bad in TD S01, I just agree that other actors could've easily failed those scenes)

I went to the Inception re-release the other day, and I was amazed by Tom Hardy and how he makes all his lines work. His charisma, his ease makes these lesser lines truly grow.

Bottom line, it's not just whether "people would actually say this" or "being realistic", whatever that means. There are several reasons why dialogue can be considered good, tolerable, bad or horrible in a film, but I think it only matters whether the film makes it work or not. In Nolan's case, I think his dialogue works, even with a number of cheesy lines. And I wouldn't go out my way to defend his writing, because that would miss the point why I love the guy.

Ruth wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Vader182 wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 6:18 pm
why do I come to this subforum

-Vader
i feel like for all of us to keep coming back here we must have some sort of a masochistic kink
sadly, yes

Got my tickets for advanced screening on 22 August, bring it on!
I'm lucky to be living in a state that has basically eliminated Covid entirely.

ChristMAX wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 5:29 am
Got my tickets for advanced screening on 22 August, bring it on!
I'm lucky to be living in a state that has basically eliminated Covid entirely.
Are u from Australia?

SCORPIO16 wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 5:47 am
Are u from Australia?
Yeah I'm from Brisbane too!

it is good to have a confirmation that with his 11th feature, the actors have finally started acting

ChristMAX wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 5:54 am
SCORPIO16 wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 5:47 am
Are u from Australia?
Yeah I'm from Brisbane too!
That's great mate. I've also booked on the 23rd evening at Event Cinemas, Indooroopilly. It's a shame that they don't have IMAX here.

Yeah I planned to fly down to IMAX Melbourne to see it, but Covid is a bitch :(

Ruth wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 5:57 am
it is good to have a confirmation that with his 11th feature, the actors have finally started acting
It's all because of those wonderful extra's from Dunkirk that finally convinced actors to start acting