Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batfan175 wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 10:29 am
LelekPL wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 3:15 am
Can you just bulletpoint your criticisms, just a quick rundown of what you felt wasn't exactly up to par?
Of course I can do that, thank your for asking so nicely, it's much appreciated. Now, my main points of criticism are as follows:
- episodes 1 and 4 lack a bit of momentum, as they seem to function as set-up episodes and are hence the least interesting of the bunch that we got;
- sometimes overly blunt and explicit dialogue offset by other storytelling elements like editing, costuming, etc.;
- the pacing was rather fast but given the small number of episodes I was kind of prepared for that;
- some convenient plot points (the circumstances surrounding Rhaegal's fate come to mind) somewhat counterbalanced by their thematic significance.
So brave of you!

Allstar wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 11:00 am
So brave of you!
Do you want me to lie about my feelings about the show? I thought the acting was excellent from everyone (in particular Clarke, Dinklage, NCW, Williams and Harrington got to shine), the entire thing looked amazing (episodes 3, 5 and 6 had some of the best shots of the entire show and of course the costumes and sets are always amazing), the music was excellent and I'll be gladly buying the soundtrack on CD when it comes out in July. The story from a writing perspective made sense to me as an end of LOTR/Scouring of the Shire section. The decision of not making the ice monsters the final threat but the quest for power/Iron Throne itself I found rather fitting and well-executed because the human heart in conflict with itself was always at the centre of Martin's story anyway.

Master Virgo wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 10:43 am
One thing that bothers me overall about the show is that it pretends to depict a different type of world where justice will not always come for those who deserve it and yet, we have almost all the several villains of the story meeting their dooms in some ill fated manner.

How come some of them can't like get a happy ending then or at least not fail miserably in the end? lol
Not that they're evil or anything, but Bronn and Sansa are eventually rewarded for their cynicism; I thought Bronn would come up North and eventually embrace his heroic side but he remained an individualist and opportunist to the end. Would have been nice if Cersei had been able to leave Westeros and start a new life, whilst Dany was killed. So immoral. The fans would have been even more pissed off.

Demoph wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 1:00 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
One thing that bothers me overall about the show is that it pretends to depict a different type of world where justice will not always come for those who deserve it and yet, we have almost all the several villains of the story meeting their dooms in some ill fated manner.

How come some of them can't like get a happy ending then or at least not fail miserably in the end? lol
Not that they're evil or anything, but Bronn and Sansa are eventually rewarded for their cynicism; I thought Bronn would come up North and eventually embrace his heroic side but he remained an individualist and opportunist to the end. Would have been nice if Cersei had been able to leave Westeros and start a new life, whilst Dany was killed. So immoral. The fans would have been even more pissed off.
Well
, if you think deities exist in this world then the architects of the Red wedding would get their karma at some point or another because of the violation of Guest Right and so Tywin, Roose, Walder all got killed in ironic ways: Tywin is killed by the son he despises and who is at the same time the most like him. Roose gets a knife in the heart the same way he did to Robb Stark because he was arrogant enough to think he could keep his monstrous bastard under control. Walder is fed his own sons before being killed by the one member of the Stark family who witnessed the massacre.
The other villains die in rather poetic fashion because the story is not going to have them get away with the terrible stuff they did. Qyburn gets killed by his own creation. Euron, who thinks so highly of himself, dies after a rather pathetic fight somewhere where noone will ever find him. Cersei dies in the arms of the brother she loves as her ambition is crumbling around her (literally). Littlefinger dies because the smartest mind in the world is no match for all-seeing magic, which he likely did not believe existed. Both Gregor and Sandor Clegane die in a fire, which created their mutual hatred for each other. Joffrey dies by poison on the day where he's supposed to be cementing his rule that is based on a lie via marriage. Ramsay gets fed to his own hounds, which were his instrument of terror and nothing remains of House Bolton once he's dead because he indulges his worst instincts and desires and has no inclination for long-term political planning. The Iron Throne that was forged in dragon fire and which was the source of so much fighting and suffering gets melted by dragon fire.
All of that still does not erase the horror, suffering and injustice that was inflicted on countless innocents though. If anything, the victims of the terrible acts that were committed over the course of the story still have to live with what has been done to them.
Last edited by Batfan175 on June 27th, 2019, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master Virgo wrote:

I wish the final 4 seasons weren't as neatly coded in general as nuance slipped away, but obviously the net-positive status quo at the end came at tremendous cost and betrayal in the preceding episodes. I expect the books to be similar in that sense.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Master Virgo wrote:

I wish the final 4 seasons weren't as neatly coded in general as nuance slipped away, but obviously the net-positive status quo at the end came at tremendous cost and betrayal in the preceding episodes. I expect the books to be similar in that sense.

-Vader
Jon
going into oblivion with almost noone knowing of his heritage and his good deeds
is a net-positive status quo? There is also no guarantee that
either Sansa or Bran will be good rulers or that Arya will survive her journey
. There is a chance that things will work out for them and be better for the people of Westeros but that's all there is. There is no certainty for any of it.

Vader182 wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:

-Vader
I'm talking specifically about the villains. I mean any garbage Hollywood villain manages to get a casualty or two or rule somewhere at some point, but what about their ultimate goals. What was their success rate in that regard? Barely any. They all failed one by one. Where is the nuance in that?

NK, Cersei, Ramsay, Tywin, Joffry, Baelish, The Mountain, Walder Frey, Bolton, High Sparrow, even the mini villains like Tanner, Locke, Craster, Ser Alisser, Viserys or Daenerys herself when she turned into one, they all had one thing in common, they utterly failed in what they wanted to achieve the most and they died in what felt like very karmic story like ways.

Compare that to some of Marvel's best villains for instance. Thanos, Zemo, Killmonger, Pierce. All of them were at least to some degree successful and what they accomplished had lasting consequences. Not just casualties.

How is the bittersweet ending anything new here. In the end it was just another traditional story like all the others despite all the pretence.

I just really love how Jon and Daenerys' arcs are wrapped up in the final episode. The more I think about it the more I love it. Especially Clarke is Golden Globe worthy

I can't think of any series where
one of two savior main characters has a meltdown and genocides an entire city, turns into the most devastating villain of the entire series, and breaking the heart of the other savior main character in the process.

Yes, I get you're talking about "the villains," but it was similar to Tolkien where the final enemies are corruption of good character.
So yes, in that sense, it did something very new.

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 2:34 pm
Vader182 wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:

-Vader
I'm talking specifically about the villains. I mean any garbage Hollywood villain manages to get a casualty or two or rule somewhere at some point, but what about their ultimate goals. What was their success rate in that regard? Barely any. They all failed one by one. Where is the nuance in that?

NK, Cersei, Ramsay, Tywin, Joffry, Baelish, The Mountain, Walder Frey, Bolton, High Sparrow, even the mini villains like Tanner, Locke, Craster, Ser Alisser, Viserys or Daenerys herself when she turned into one, they all had one thing in common, they utterly failed in what they wanted to achieve the most and they died in what felt like very karmic story like ways.

Compare that to some of Marvel's best villains for instance. Thanos, Zemo, Killmonger, Pierce. All of them were at least to some degree successful and what they accomplished had lasting consequences. Not just casualties.

How is the bittersweet ending anything new here. In the end it was just another traditional story like all the others despite all the pretence.
So for it to not be traditional you just wanted the villains to win? That does not sound like a very interesting subversion. I could make a theory that says that Victarion Greyjoy is Azor Ahai but that would not be in keeping with the spirit of the story, which is anti-war and anti-violence. It's a fictional story with a moral core at the centre, which is why the villain does not get to win, as Martin's not a nihilist. Cersei got the throne she wanted and held onto it...until she didn't because Martin understands a) her character flaws and b) that people never hold on to power forever anyway. Ramsay's goals just entail hurting people physically and psychologically because he gets off on it. He was pretty successful in doing that and it had an impact beyond his death too when you look at Theon. Arya and Sansa have generally been changed forever by the horrors they witnessed and those are somehow not lasting consequences?