Avengers: Endgame (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BlairCo wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 12:08 am
Avengers: Infinity War is paced like a regular episode of Game of Thrones, in that it's very "And now we're back to this storyline with these characters", which to me is fitting because that's the kind of model that these movies are based on. IW might be paced weirdly because there's just soooo many characters that we have to check in on, while Endgame, there aren't as many and even the ones that are there are pretty much feeling the exact same feeling of grief, so it's not as complicated to establish as IW was.
Pretty much, yeah.

I haven't had any pacing issues with IW when I first saw it but on repeat viewings some of the storylines (especially Large Tyrion's and Thanos and Gamora flashbacks) felt tiresome. EndGame also felt a bit overlong to me but mostly due to the final battle and some underwhelming second act shenanigans. But the pacing felt better.

Personally I find Endgame is better paced than IW. It's a lot more focused and tighter with its story telling and also better structured. It follows a more traditional 3 act structure that allows the film to naturally build up and flow better.

Given the character driven set up as well as we see these characters dealing with the initial aftermath of Thanos' snap and then 5 years later. We get a really good sense of where they are all at emotionally in their lives and how they've moved on or not moved on. How they're dealing and processing with this feeling of failure, loss and grief. It allows us to have these great character moments with these heroes, moment's you don't usually see in a comic book/superhero movie. Ultimately I find that way more engaging and gave the film a great foundation to build on which made the payoff all the more sweeter

OW confirmed to be $357M. 7M more than what was estimated.£

7th highest rated movie on IMDB with almost 250k votes. That's kind of insane. Not that IMDB rating mean much of course

Where was
Sif? :x

m4st4 wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 7:37 am
How is production design choice from one movie affecting the other movie, how is that criticism? Also, from a narrative standpoint, prepare for a lot more of those ‘why wasn’t that in the previous movies?’, and the answer is simple: because the idea didn’t exist. And, in world, because characters weren’t aware of the technology. Basically - nitpicking, not criticism.
Well duh, of course it's a nitpicking. I'm not nitpicking one movie. I'm nitpicking the universe its set in. Universe designed by people with a plan.

I mentioned the jump point above Earth and Nirvana's Come As You Are in Captain Marvel thread because both those moments took me out of that movie.

There is tremendous work done by Feige, Markus, and McFeely to give us MCU, but then moments like the one mentioned above stick out like a sore thumb. Like TDK's 'no more dead cops!' or TDKR's 'Talia's death'.

And since we're in Endgame thread now (hehe),
the rules of how to handle infinity stones were wildly inconsistent.

Pratham wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 7:21 am
Where was
Sif? :x
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!!

Yeah I love how
Hulk screams and struggles as soon as the gauntlet touches him and can hardly snap, but Tony is able to do it easily and throw a catchphrase in there

Bacon wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 1:06 pm
Yeah I love how
Hulk screams and struggles as soon as the gauntlet touches him and can hardly snap, but Tony is able to do it easily and throw a catchphrase in there
only thing I can think of is that
the gauntlet touches Hulk's bare hand and Tony is at least protected partially by the suit hand

idk, they had a running gag about Cap's ass in this so all bets are off

Cilogy wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 1:34 pm
Bacon wrote:
April 30th, 2019, 1:06 pm
Yeah I love how
only thing I can think of is that
the gauntlet touches Hulk's bare hand and Tony is at least protected partially by the suit hand
The 'gauntlet' is just a glove of Iron Man suit though.