Maniac (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 6:41 pm
1 episode in and contemplating not continuing. I feel like after 40 minutes it might have been the first 10 minutes of a solid film.
don't you hate TV

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 6:55 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
1 episode in and contemplating not continuing. I feel like after 40 minutes it might have been the first 10 minutes of a solid film.
don't you hate TV

-Vader
Mostly. What it's become anyway. But I enjoyed what Fukunaga brought to True Detective up to a point. This seems like yet another case of stretching a premise as thin as possible because reasons.

Conversely I think there are longform shows that deal with something complex enough to justify their length. Just not a whole heap of them.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:12 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 6:55 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
don't you hate TV

-Vader
Mostly. What it's become anyway. But I enjoyed what Fukunaga brought to True Detective up to a point. This seems like yet another case of stretching a premise as thin as possible because reasons.

Conversely I think there are longform shows that deal with something complex enough to justify their length. Just not a whole heap of them.
do you think the golden age of tv stuff is mostly an emperor's new clothes thing or what

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:21 pm
do you think the golden age of tv stuff is mostly an emperor's new clothes thing or what

-Vader
To some degree. I think some of it is simply stuff that was being done by the BBC 20-30 years ago - there are just better production values now. And then I think there's the genuinely high-end stuff that I've seen such as The Wire and other 2000s HBO stuff that opened the door, and then the escapism of a GOT or The Crown.

With Fukunaga I thought at least True Detective, despite kinda being twaddle, was visually told well and had really dynamic moments, but this new thing really plods.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:35 pm
To some degree. I think some of it is simply stuff that was being done by the BBC 20-30 years ago - there are just better production values now. And then I think there's the genuinely high-end stuff that I've seen such as The Wire and other 2000s HBO stuff that opened the door, and then the escapism of a GOT or The Crown.

With Fukunaga I thought at least True Detective, despite kinda being twaddle, was visually told well and had really dynamic moments, but this new thing really plods.
mm

have you tried other stuff? Hannibal / Mad Men / The Leftovers / Twin Peaks / The Americans?

-Vader

I was impressed with the first season of Mad Men but didn't feel compelled to continue; the others particularly Twin Peaks are things I'll get around to. The bulk of my TV viewing lately has been sitcoms for research purposes so admittedly I'm not well versed.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Time waster medium. In seriousness I heard it gets great after ep 3.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:55 pm
I was impressed with the first season of Mad Men but didn't feel compelled to continue;
How can you stop at The Wheel? :shock: :o

What I'm loving is that it does not feel like a TV show at all. Filmed very much like a feature and it comes off that way.

Pizzolatto and Fukunaga should have stuck together.£