Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Nomis wrote:
April 30th, 2018, 11:08 am
gonna write a lengthy review?
probably not. most of my issues with it have already been outlined in this thread now that i'm going back and reading all the spoiler stuff, but i'll give some random thoughts after an evening of contemplation

negatives:
- Marvel humor has never felt more out of place
- there are no characters with actual arcs other than Thanos
- none of the emotional beats land very well or at all (i blame the Russos)
- they did Cap dirty with the amount of screen time
positives:
despite the absurd amount of problems i have with this movie, it's wildly entertaining and compelling throughout its 3 hour runtime - just don't think about the plot or lack of substantial characters after you leave the theater
thing i'm most looking forward:
OG avengers kicking ass in a (maybe) slimmed down final film. maybe they can actually develop some of the characters
EDIT: lmao @nistopher colon

Thing I'm looking forward to:
Nebula getting the Infinity Gauntlet, bringing her sister back to life and punching Thanos from here to the other side of the universe.

Batfan175 wrote:
April 30th, 2018, 1:16 pm
Thing I'm looking forward to:
Nebula getting the Infinity Gauntlet, bringing her sister back to life and punching Thanos from here to the other side of the universe.
Yes, please.

so there’s still lots of stuff for me to process (if i’m even going to add my further thoughts later, that is) cuz I just came back home, so yea, it’s not a perfect movie by any means, but fuck me if i didn’t have the greatest time watching it

Color me impressed, a little.

7/10

The good
- Admittedly touching emotional moments. Namely, all the Wanda/Vision stuff and Holland's "I don't wanna go! I don't wanna go!" That shit hit me dude.
- Surprisingly wasn't an editing nightmare the way Ultron was.
- Cool hero shots and moments, like the Wakanda introduction and Cap/Falcon/Widow appearing out of nowhere.
- Cumberbatch probably my fave. Also Tom Vaughan-Lawlor as Ebony Maw. Such a cool portrayal of that character.
- Basically I said the only way this film would impress me is if Thanos has depth, and he does and I was. So far it's a 2-in-a-row streak (wow!) of interesting and emotionally complex villains. Brolin was great too. So props where props are due.
- Kinda cool how the 'remaining' heroes are all the original Avengers. Intentional? Unintentional? Lazy? Cool? idk we'll see
- Neat tease for Cap Marvel
The bad
- Score? What score? These movies have a score?
- Action was bleh. Some was cool. A lot was unintelligible.
- What was the fucking point of all the axe stuff and Dinklage's character in the Thor/Rocket/Groot side-mission? Seemed like a distraction from everything. Not to mention, it set Thor back to his pre-2011 maturity level.
- Kind of undoes all the complexity and conflict unveiled by Civil War.
- In Ragnarok, Ruffalo was channeling Larry David. In this, his character has been virtually reduced to a comic-relief cardboard cutout.
- Cap pretty much had a cameo. Ugh.
- Look, I get it, a big premise of the film is to put the heroes in highly in conflicting situations where they are forced to decide between their loved(?) ones and saving the universe. But they consistently choose not to save the universe, so they're not really heroes. Plus, the trope lost its charm immediately, especially when it's done repeatedly. Hell, Vision is the only logical character in the whole damn film with his at least earnest attempt at doing what's right.
- I mean, it's frustrating when we're nearly 20 movies and the biggest change has been Olsen's accent.
- Looking forward to everything being retconned or reverted in the next film because of some lame alternate reality or time travel bullshit.

^re: the good
i agree, I was gonna say Parker hugging Stark and not wanting to die was one of my favorite moments in this film
as for cap
dunno man at this point i’m just glad he’s still alive lol. SURE, they could’ve swapped the odd axe side quest for more Cap and BW, for example, but i was like getting ready to let go

Michaelf2225 wrote:
April 30th, 2018, 11:17 am
Nomis wrote:
April 30th, 2018, 11:08 am
gonna write a lengthy review?
probably not. most of my issues with it have already been outlined in this thread now that i'm going back and reading all the spoiler stuff, but i'll give some random thoughts after an evening of contemplation

negatives:
- Marvel humor has never felt more out of place
- there are no characters with actual arcs other than Thanos
- none of the emotional beats land very well or at all (i blame the Russos)
- they did Cap dirty with the amount of screen time
positives:
despite the absurd amount of problems i have with this movie, it's wildly entertaining and compelling throughout its 3 hour runtime - just don't think about the plot or lack of substantial characters after you leave the theater
thing i'm most looking forward:
OG avengers kicking ass in a (maybe) slimmed down final film. maybe they can actually develop some of the characters
EDIT: lmao @nistopher colon
I think cap got barely any screen time because his big part is in part 2. This was more Iron Man, Guardians and Thor's movie. The next should be Cap's movie.and do the characters needs such huge arcs when we've had 18 movies with them? They get their own arcs in their own movies really, but I thought many had mini arcs in the film.

Cilogy wrote:
April 30th, 2018, 5:26 pm
Color me impressed, a little.
You're already colored.

Saw it again. I raise my verdict to 9.5/10.

An unprecedented cinematic event.