Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Best Picture

Best Director - Winner

Best Actor

Best Supporting Actor - Winner

Best Supporting Actress

Best Adapted Screenplay - Winner

Best Cinematography - Winner

Best Film Editing - Winner

Best Production Design

Best Original Score - Winner

Best Sound - Winner

Best Visual Effects

Hopefully this does well. I will post mine tomorrow

Oku
I'm surprised that a veteran user of all people would be so delusional.

Oppenheimer ain't winning any major awards, and anyone who thinks otherwise has no understanding of how the Oscars works.

At most, at MOST it's getting a few technical awards, but even that's up in the air given WB's vindictive pettiness (as we all saw with the scheduling of Barbie), which shows us that WB will most likely spare no expense in pushing Dune Part II as hard as possible in the technical categories in order to ensure that Oppenheimer loses.

Edit: grammar and wording
Last edited by Oku on July 20th, 2023, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think score and sound design are very likely

It’s not gonna get a visual effects nomination as it literally has no CGI

I don’t think cinematography, production design or editing are locks. Dune part 1 swept all the technical categories so i won’t be surprised to see it win those 3 this time. The reason I think it loses sound design is simply because of the enormous praise for this film and that Nolan films frequently win that Oscar anyway.

As for the major awards, I don’t think any of them are sure wins but I do expect screenplay, BP, best director, best actor, best supporting actor, and best supporting actress nominations. I don’t even feel comfortable saying RDJ is a lock because Gosling has been getting a ton of praise as well and I won’t be surprised if he is so widely talked about 6 months from now once Barbie dominates the box office and pop culture that he becomes the front runner.

Let's not all get ahead of ourselves and maybe see how things go in December.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 1:38 pm
Awards Speculation

You have no standing here.

Also, don't fucking address me ever again.

Oku wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 1:23 pm

Oppenheimer ain't winning any major awards, and anyone who thinks otherwise has no understanding of how the Oscars works.

At most, at MOST it's getting a few technical awards, but even that's up in the air given WB's vindictive pettiness (as we all saw with the scheduling of Barbie), which shows us that WB will most likely spare no expense in pushing Dune Part II as hard as possible in the technical categories in order to ensure that Oppenheimer loses.

Speaking as someone who in fairness is the exact opposite of a veteran user, isn't there something to be said for Oppenheimer being exactly the kind of film that usually gets Oscars? And if the film is indeed firing on all cylinders, as most reviews seem to indicate, wouldn't major awards be likely? Plus, I'd imagine Universal would be mounting a major Oscar campaign for Oppenheimer given the lengths they went to acquire Nolan, no?

MyCocaine wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 1:43 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 1:38 pm
Awards Speculation

You have no standing here.

Also, don't fucking address me ever again.
Calm down brother.

physicshistoryguy wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 2:32 pm
Oku wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 1:23 pm

Speaking as someone who in fairness is the exact opposite of a veteran user, isn't there something to be said for Oppenheimer being exactly the kind of film that usually gets Oscars? And if the film is indeed firing on all cylinders, as most reviews seem to indicate, wouldn't major awards be likely? Plus, I'd imagine Universal would be mounting a major Oscar campaign for Oppenheimer given the lengths they went to acquire Nolan, no?
Look at the last 4-5 films to win Best Picture. The Oscars have started to avoid their usual oscarbait type historical biopic pick. The films they pick nowadays tend to have more to do with a marginalized community. I think Oppenheimer will get a lot of nominations but walk away with only a couple technical wins at best. It also suffers a lot by being a summer release and I can’t see this being a movie that critics or the industry will rally behind like they did for EEAAO last year. A lot of critics praising this movie seem to be praising it from a perspective of being bothered it’s as good as it actually is rather than truly fanboying over it