Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
LelekPL wrote:
February 25th, 2024, 5:30 am
LelekPL wrote:
January 10th, 2024, 4:06 pm
With Poor Things and Holdovers snubbed at SGA, and Color Purple and American Fiction not getting a nomination at DGA, it looks like it's a three film race for the Oscar now between Barbie, Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer. However, even though those are the three main favorites, Oppenheimer is still the clear favourite of the three at the moment. If it wins best ensemble at SGA, and best director at DGA it's practically game over and I would be shocked if it didn't win Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars. However, if Killers or Barbie manages to get an upset win at SGA or DGA, then the race might be closer.
With SAG, DGA and BAFTA now over, it got to a point where I would be shocked if Oppenheimer doesn't win Best Picture, Director, Score, Actor and Supporting Actor. From these five I thought that Supporting was the most secure but now I think it might be the other way around, and if Downey doesn't win, he'll have his SAG speech and Mel Gibson to "thank" for it.

Still I don't expect surprises here. I know that Indy won Best Score recently (but there's no way they will give the Oscar to it) and you never really know 100% with Best Picture (maybe some voters will feel tired with Oppenheimer winning everywhere)...

In terms of other awards I think it can also win in Editing (Killers is the possible upset) and Cinematography (Poor Things as the main rival).

I thought Oppie's sixth surefire win would be Sound until I saw The Zone of Interest. Now I think Zone has 60% chance, Oppenheimer has 40%.

The rest will go to other films - Production Design and Costumes to Poor Things, Screenplay to American Fiction.

That would give Oppenheimer a minimum of 5 Oscars in the almost worst case scenario (I mean, probably there is a universe it doesn't win anything) and a maximum of 8 Oscars. The second winniest film will be Poor Things with either minimum 2, maximum 5 (Production Design, Costumes for sure; and possibly Cinematography, Make Up and Actress). I'd say 4 wins for Poor Things would be a nice reward for the stunning look of that film. Killers has an outside chance for two only (Actress and Editing). The two foreign films will win either one each - Anatomy of a Fall for script, and Zone of Interest for best foreign film; or Zone of Interest will have two with Sound. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much love for Barbie and I think it will only win Best Song.
It went down pretty much exactly as predicted. There were no real surprises throughout this Awards season.

The only question was who's going to win Best Actress and it went to Emma Stone, as I predicted. Gladstone was great, but her performance suffered from the fact that in my opinion she should have been nominated in a supporting role (at least it certainly wasn't obvious that she was a leading one unlike Stone). It would have been a great moment to give the Award to a Native American for a deserving performance but I was fine either way.

It's very good that 20 Days in Mariupol won the Oscar for best documentary. An important film and a first win for Ukraine. And it's nice that Wes Anderson wins his first one too!

But ultimately it was supposed to be and actually was Nolan's night. It was such an amazing moment to watch my once favorite director and Hollywood GOAT presenting the Academy Award to my current favorite director:

It has some of that same poignancy as Spielberg, Coppola and Lucas giving Scorsese his first Oscar in 2007.

Especially considering that it was exactly 30 years ago that Spielberg won his first Oscar for Schindler's List. In 1994 Schindler's List also won 7 Oscars (including Best Picture and Director). In 2024 Oppenheimer repeated that same achievement.

The only person who almost stole the show was Ryan Gosling. He might not have won for Best Song but he definitely had the best performance. And he also had a nice segment with Emily Blunt discussing Barbenheimer and Stunts in film. When they had this segment I was hoping they would announce they are adding Best Stunt Category next year as well. Unfortunately it ended up more like a promo for the Fall Guy.

Overall a pretty great ceremony, especially because it was shorter and they had two blockbusters Oppenheimer and Barbie creating some excitment for a lot of movie goers by being nominated. Nolan finally got his Oscars and Barbie added some much needed fun to the event. Also Poor Things was great and I'm glad it won 4 Oscars as well.

After all the snubs, it still doesn't feel real. So thrilled for Chris and the whole team! :gonf:

BobCobb wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 3:51 am
I’m going to miss you all so much till the next one.
Genuinely, checking this forum on my work breaks, off days, just almost everyday in general for updates and how quick you guys are to keep us updated on Nolan news. Just the very fact that this forum is so..ALIVE. Cannot thank you enough. Hope this site never dies.

Natalie the 🐐.
Awww, thanks :gonf: :gonf: :gonf:

Our Queen and King.

I knew a long time ago Chris would win last night, but now that's real I can tell that I am so happy for this guy who whether you like his movies or not he's influenced cinema like very few people the last 20 years.
I remember back in 2017 I couldn't believe that he lost for Dunkirk but that's gone now. Well deserved to the whole team!
See you guys when you get an announcement for the next film! My prediction is that it will be around Jan/Feb 2025.

I just noticed that a bunch of people are angry at RDJ for ignoring Ke Huy Quan when he won. I found pictures of both hugging backstage, so I don't know.

Finally - we lived to see it happening. I was smiling so hard watching them win one award after another.

Personally, I usually don't complain much about the Oscars, because even if my favorite film or the best nominee doesn't win, most of the time it's still another very good film (not always, there's always the odd Green Book, Crash or Argo).

But only now I noticed that for me it was also the first time in a long time when the winner of the Oscar for best picture was actually my favorite film of the year.

The last time I agreed with the winner was in 2012 when The Artist won, but even then it was the best film among the nominees, not my favorite that year (I rated Drive and We Need to Talk About Kevin higher, but they weren't nominated then). The last time my favorite film won an Oscar in a given year was actually in 2007, when The Departed won. And I know a lot of people think Scorsese should have won for a different film, but the Oscar is for the best film of the year, not the best film of someone's career. And that year The Departed was by far the best.

Same now, Oppenheimer in my opinion is not the best film of Nolan's career (my personal favorite still is Interstellar for which he has criminally not even been nominated), but it was the best film of this year and I'm totally fine for it being his first Oscar.

About. Damn. Time. :gonf:

User of Interest wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 10:21 am
I just noticed that a bunch of people are angry at RDJ for ignoring Ke Huy Quan when he won. I found pictures of both hugging backstage, so I don't know.
I honestly think it's overblown. People hate him for the Mel Gibson speech. He definitely looked more flustered on stage than all of the other awards he has received. And then you are up there facing five presenters, having to give a speech, and also reconnect with people you know. I just think he probably didn't catch that Quan was trying to shake hands with him.