Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

why is Oppenheimer not winning the screenplay awards? the USC scripter went to American Fiction

is it a compromise to make some other movie get recognition?

i mean if Oppenheimer is such a strong contender for best picture and best editing... how or why can it not win the screenplay?

it is such a dense and layered screenplay and how complicatedly structured it is.. connecting similar themes and plot points from different timelines between the past and the present and the future and yet it makes perfect sense.

and its also not about being showy and just for the sake of it...
the story, which is complex in itself, demanded that non-linearity so that it is easier for us to sit back and easily connect the dots, emotions and feelings spread wide across the timelines.. there was no easy way to tell this story..

or the people who vote for these categories prefer easy/boring/linear screenplays?
or they prioritize dialogues over structure?

I agree that the lack of screenplay recognition is perplexing...but that seems to be the standard set from the get-go with these different organizations handing out awards, Oppenheimer is good enough to be nominated but not win. Also, they tend to award screenplays that have snappy dialogue, even though screenplays are much more than dialogue.

Also, not to start something but it's also a USC group handing out that particular award, so identity politics are going to be big for them...

666kalpa wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 3:18 am
why is Oppenheimer not winning the screenplay awards? the USC scripter went to American Fiction

is it a compromise to make some other movie get recognition?

i mean if Oppenheimer is such a strong contender for best picture and best editing... how or why can it not win the screenplay?

it is such a dense and layered screenplay and how complicatedly structured it is.. connecting similar themes and plot points from different timelines between the past and the present and the future and yet it makes perfect sense.

and its also not about being showy and just for the sake of it...
the story, which is complex in itself, demanded that non-linearity so that it is easier for us to sit back and easily connect the dots, emotions and feelings spread wide across the timelines.. there was no easy way to tell this story..

or the people who vote for these categories prefer easy/boring/linear screenplays?
or they prioritize dialogues over structure?
And it was a 700+ page book, which means a 5+ hour movie or TV series. Nolan did a hell of a job with the adaptation. The surviving co-writer of the book was very worried this project would be a major bust, since previous efforts by other directors and screenwriters turned out to be garbage. He was surprised in a good way by what Nolan did with this script.

radewart wrote:
March 3rd, 2024, 3:53 am
I agree that the lack of screenplay recognition is perplexing...but that seems to be the standard set from the get-go with these different organizations handing out awards, Oppenheimer is good enough to be nominated but not win. Also, they tend to award screenplays that have snappy dialogue, even though screenplays are much more than dialogue.

Also, not to start something but it's also a USC group handing out that particular award, so identity politics are going to be big for them...
The guy who wrote the source material book for American Fiction is currently a professor at USC. It’s possible this impacted the voting. But American Fiction also won BAFTA, so we have to assume it’s the frontrunner. Oppy is leading the leaked ballots in the media, which is a bit surprising. We’ll see how it shakes out next weekend.

I would love it if Oppenheimer wins every single nominated award but I guess since we are so dominant in other categories, I really don't care about the screenplay award that much, as long as we win the other ones.