Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
1917 never really had the same strength as Oppenheimer had throughout its campaign. La La Land was probably the biggest favorite heading into Oscars night that actually lost in the end from the past 10 years that I can think of, but curiously wasn't even at the SAG for Ensemble which signaled weakness. I don't see enough surging support for anything at this point to steal it away. It would have had to have come from the likes of Anatomy of a Fall or Zone of Interest playing wild card as a 'foreign' film but I just don't see it. All the others have likely peaked as contenders some time ago.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 8:51 am
I agree with you but I think Oppenheimer’s popularity (among other reasons perhaps) makes some people believe already this is Nolan's "overdue" if it wins. I have already seen multiple people come up with remarks like that, and maybe you all have too. I, for one, was (still kind do) hoping it wouldn’t win to avoid that. I just feel Nolan already has too many haters by his name alone.

That said, I also think it’s something that should not matter to me if other people feel otherwise. So, if it wins, I will be happy and I think they deserve it. The only film I believe goes the closest for me is The Zone Of Interest in that regard. Oppenheimer is my favorite though.
Well, as a Nolan fan, I had hoped he'd win for Inception, Interstellar or Dunkirk. Especially Dunkirk as it was a perfect film for me and a film in my mind would be a strong contender in those events but it didn't win him much other than technical awards.

So as a Nolan fan he's way overdue but the point is, it isn't for a lesser film that just gets attention or gets rewarded in a weak season. And suddenly they just want to give it to him just because he's overdue. Lots of people consider it his best film yet. An incredibly ambitious and a huge cinematic achievement on all aspects. So it's absolutely deserving. So he's not just given it out of pity. For that I'm happy he's getting it for this masterpiece and is recognized for it now.

It should break the record tbh. Only oscar it doesn't deserve is best secondary actress.
Not that it's the greatest film ever (its not even one of Nolan's best) but its a really good film that has, virtually, no competition.

brickarts295 wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 3:54 am
I'm a little worried that we may see a dark horse win out of nowhere like in 2019 (1917 won the PGA, GG and BAFTA Best Picture, but lost to Parasite at the Oscars). Personally it was a deserved win cause I liked it a lot more than 1917 but still, I'd pissed if I betted for 1917 that night lol
I know Oppenheimer has all the precursors to win but I have been disappointed for so many years that I am still scared about it lol

Tarssauce wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 12:36 pm
I agree with you but I think Oppenheimer’s popularity (among other reasons perhaps) makes some people believe already this is Nolan's "overdue" if it wins. I have already seen multiple people come up with remarks like that, and maybe you all have too. I, for one, was (still kind do) hoping it wouldn’t win to avoid that. I just feel Nolan already has too many haters by his name alone.

That said, I also think it’s something that should not matter to me if other people feel otherwise. So, if it wins, I will be happy and I think they deserve it. The only film I believe goes the closest for me is The Zone Of Interest in that regard. Oppenheimer is my favorite though.
Well, as a Nolan fan, I had hoped he'd win for Inception, Interstellar or Dunkirk. Especially Dunkirk as it was a perfect film for me and a film in my mind would be a strong contender in those events but it didn't win him much other than technical awards.

So as a Nolan fan he's way overdue but the point is, it isn't for a lesser film that just gets attention or gets rewarded in a weak season. And suddenly they just want to give it to him just because he's overdue. Lots of people consider it his best film yet. An incredibly ambitious and a huge cinematic achievement on all aspects. So it's absolutely deserving. So he's not just given it out of pity. For that I'm happy he's getting it for this masterpiece and is recognized for it now.
The guy has been overdue for 20 years in my view. Memento was awesome. It’s crazy to me that he was not even nominated for Best Director until Dunkirk.

It’s a similar situation to Scorsese with The Departed and the Coen Brothers with No Country. Those guys were overdue as hell after having very strong careers for many years, but The Departed and No Country are GREAT freaking movies and nobody can accuse them of winning a sympathy award. Same deal with Oppenheimer.

I think Al Pacino is probably the best example of a sympathy award. He did amazing work in the 1970’s and they finally awarded him 20 years too late for a much weaker acting performance in Scent of a Woman.

It wins cinematography, score and editing but sound isn't a guarantee and it wont win production design, make up, or costume design either.

It will take best actor, best supporting, best picture, directing and maybe writing (though it can certainly lose to american fiction or barbie).

I am expecting 6-9 Oscar wins.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 2:53 pm
Tarssauce wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 12:36 pm

The guy has been overdue for 20 years in my view. Memento was awesome. It’s crazy to me that he was not even nominated for Best Director until Dunkirk.

It’s a similar situation to Scorsese with The Departed and the Coen Brothers with No Country. Those guys were overdue as hell after having very strong careers for many years, but The Departed and No Country are GREAT freaking movies and nobody can accuse them of winning a sympathy award. Same deal with Oppenheimer.

I think Al Pacino is probably the best example of a sympathy award. He did amazing work in the 1970’s and they finally awarded him 20 years too late for a much weaker acting performance in Scent of a Woman.
The Departed is widely seen as a sympathy award because it is easily one of Scorsese's weaker films.

watched Poor Things finally...its good..but i found nothing great
whats the hype about?

666kalpa wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 11:44 pm
whats the hype about?
Only The Holdovers wowed me out of the other nominees tbh

Anatomy of a Fall was solid also but not great

666kalpa wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 11:44 pm
whats the hype about?
I watched American Fiction this evening. Pretty damn good. The dialogue is very sharp, very funny. Easy to see why this movie is getting a lot of support for Best Script awards in recent weeks and months.