Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Pleasantly surprised that Murphy won! Thought for sure they would go with Giamatti.

Huge night for Cillian, RDJ, and the Oppy film in general. With SAG giving this type of support to Oppy, I am wondering if it might win Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars. SAG has the biggest voting branch in the Academy.

I'm not sure how to respond to all this winning. I'm not used to it! I've been watching Nolan films lose awards for 20 years...what...what do we do now? :lol: :gonf:

u2aerofan wrote:
February 25th, 2024, 12:18 am
I'm not sure how to respond to all this winning. I'm not used to it! I've been watching Nolan films lose awards for 20 years...what...what do we do now? :lol: :gonf:
Just cry :lol:

u2aerofan wrote:
February 25th, 2024, 12:18 am
It's surprising, but awesome to watch it happen. Hopefully we see another good showing with the Producers Guild on Sunday! :thumbup:

redfirebird2008 wrote:
February 24th, 2024, 11:37 pm
Huge night for Cillian, RDJ, and the Oppy film in general. With SAG giving this type of support to Oppy, I am wondering if it might win Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars. SAG has the biggest voting branch in the Academy.
Great news

LelekPL wrote:
January 10th, 2024, 4:06 pm
With Poor Things and Holdovers snubbed at SGA, and Color Purple and American Fiction not getting a nomination at DGA, it looks like it's a three film race for the Oscar now between Barbie, Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer. However, even though those are the three main favorites, Oppenheimer is still the clear favourite of the three at the moment. If it wins best ensemble at SGA, and best director at DGA it's practically game over and I would be shocked if it didn't win Best Picture and Best Director at the Oscars. However, if Killers or Barbie manages to get an upset win at SGA or DGA, then the race might be closer.
With SAG, DGA and BAFTA now over, it got to a point where I would be shocked if Oppenheimer doesn't win Best Picture, Director, Score, Actor and Supporting Actor. From these five I thought that Supporting was the most secure but now I think it might be the other way around, and if Downey doesn't win, he'll have his SAG speech and Mel Gibson to "thank" for it.

Still I don't expect surprises here. I know that Indy won Best Score recently (but there's no way they will give the Oscar to it) and you never really know 100% with Best Picture (maybe some voters will feel tired with Oppenheimer winning everywhere)...

In terms of other awards I think it can also win in Editing (Killers is the possible upset) and Cinematography (Poor Things as the main rival).

I thought Oppie's sixth surefire win would be Sound until I saw The Zone of Interest. Now I think Zone has 60% chance, Oppenheimer has 40%.

The rest will go to other films - Production Design and Costumes to Poor Things, Screenplay to American Fiction.

That would give Oppenheimer a minimum of 5 Oscars in the almost worst case scenario (I mean, probably there is a universe it doesn't win anything) and a maximum of 8 Oscars. The second winniest film will be Poor Things with either minimum 2, maximum 5 (Production Design, Costumes for sure; and possibly Cinematography, Make Up and Actress). I'd say 4 wins for Poor Things would be a nice reward for the stunning look of that film. Killers has an outside chance for two only (Actress and Editing). The two foreign films will win either one each - Anatomy of a Fall for script, and Zone of Interest for best foreign film; or Zone of Interest will have two with Sound. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much love for Barbie and I think it will only win Best Song.

I think it's over, Oppenheimer is winning Best Picture. It will win PGA tonight as well.

I think Film Editing is also done, I don't see Thelma winning for Killers. I think Killers is winning Lily Gladstone or nothing.