Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
A Borges man wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 11:25 pm
eescorpius wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 9:30 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 8:19 pm

id say HR makes a very good case FOR the directors and the movies, they are not the problem, people complain that Oppenheimer didnt show the Japanese perspective, but i reject that narrative, instead other filmmakers, hopefully those closer to that story should be empowered to tell it from their perspective adding and complementing to the greater collection of media about it, Godzilla minus one might just be a perfect contemporary example of just that.

i will mantain that Chris`s descision to stay away from the Japanese perspective elevates the film, the stories about Hiroshima and Nagasaki are other artist`s to tell
As a Chinese, and a descendent of people who were terrorized by Imperial Japan, the last thing I would want is the perspective of the Japanese without putting into context what Imperial Japan did. I am thankful that Chris' perspective was neutral. I guarantee you if they portray Japan as victims, the majority of East Asia will have a problem with the movie. I won't speak on KoTFM and the Osage perspective, but in terms of Oppenheimer, THR needs to get off their holier-than-thou Western high horse because they really have no fucking idea about any Asian history.
This right here is what I think about whenever someone criticizes the lack of Japanese perspective in the movie. These same people don't look at The Wind Rises question why there isn't a Korean perspective. People don't think about the WORLD war part of World War 2.

Also, there are so many wonderful Japanese films about the bomb, person fav being Immura's Black Rain.
i missed you a lot mate :wave:

In addition to acting for Giamatti, I think sound could go to Zone of Interest.

Giamatti is locked for Best Actor.

I think Cillian’s performance is so hard to do too. That robotic/scientist thing isn’t easy to pull off.

brickarts295 wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 11:22 pm
Alright people, join in the prayer circle for Nolan's nominations.
Holy shit it worked? And 13 too!
Very Happy for Nolan and the team, lets bring it home! :gonf:

After the nominations it looks like Oppenheimer is clearly the favorite for the Academy Awards with Poor Things being the one possible contender for an upset.

With the state of cinema being as it is, and with MCU being in a slump this is a great chance for the Academy to promote a big success, and the type of movie we would love to see in the cinema. I loved Poor Things and Killers of the Flower Moon, but I think it would be a mistake to award movies with such small cinema reception this year, especially since you have two legit box office hits deserving the Awards that are both original and auteur driven.

With no noms for Director or Lead Actress, it's clear Barbie is unfortunately out of the race, but Oppenheimer winning would harken back to better times of Titanic, Gladiator, Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, Silence of the Lambs, Forrest Gump when huge hits were awards worthy and moviegoers rushed to see them and were excited about cinema.

It's great when a small movie like Nomadland or a foreign movie like Parasite, or a weird genre movie like Shape of Water wins (films that often no one would have seen without the recognition) but it's been far too long since we had a mega hit win a Best Picture Oscar and the industry is better off when every other year big hits are awards worthy and recognized as well.

BobCobb wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 3:17 pm
Giamatti is locked for Best Actor.

I think Cillian’s performance is so hard to do too. That robotic/scientist thing isn’t easy to pull off.
thats certainly a stretch, to say its locked for Giamatti, surely its the most up the air of the categories between Paul and Cillian.

LelekPL wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 4:41 pm

With no noms for Director or Lead Actress, it's clear Barbie is unfortunately out of the race for Best Picture, but Oppenheimer winning would harken back to better times of Titanic, Gladiator, Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, Silence of the Lambs, Forrest Gump when huge hits were awards worthy and moviegoers rushed to see them and were excited about cinema.

I'm not sure about that on Barbie. Hollywood Reporter has an article suggesting that the snubs on Barbie could lead to a backlash similar to Argo, where Affleck was snubbed from the Best Director nominations. Backlash on the Affleck snub helped Argo win Best Picture. Barbie has a lot of pretty vocal people in the industry backing it, including the likes of Meryl Streep. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I agree with everything you said about the Oscars going too far on the "small movie" train for Best Picture the last 10-20 years. They have often rewarded movies that 99% of the public will never see, which is problematic when you look at some of the other winners in history that were legitimately great movies with huge support in the general audience. Guess we will see if they are willing to abandon this "small movie" tendency and reward either Oppy or Barbie.

Will win:
1. Best Picture
2. Best Director
3. Best Supporting Actor
4. Best Cinematography
5. Best Editing
6. Best Score
7. Best Sound

50/50 between Giamatti
8. Best Actor

Surprise me:
9. Best Adapted Screenplay
10. Best Makeup and Hair

No dice:
11. Best Supporting Actress
12. Best Costume Design
13. Best Production Design

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 10:49 pm
Will win:
1. Best Picture
2. Best Director
3. Best Supporting Actor
4. Best Cinematography
5. Best Editing
6. Best Score
7. Best Sound

50/50 between Giamatti
8. Best Actor

Surprise me:
10. Best Makeup and Hair

No dice:
12. Best Costume Design
Totally agree. My theory: if wins in Make Up, wins in Best Actor.

natalie wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 10:58 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 10:49 pm
Will win:
1. Best Picture
2. Best Director
3. Best Supporting Actor
4. Best Cinematography
5. Best Editing
6. Best Score
7. Best Sound

50/50 between Giamatti
8. Best Actor

Surprise me:
10. Best Makeup and Hair

No dice:
12. Best Costume Design
Totally agree. My theory: if wins in Make Up, wins in Best Actor.
Make up will go to Maestro guys, no chance for Oppy to win. I think Oppy will win Sound, Score, Editing, Cinematography, Director. Most likely Supporting Actor(a small chance to lose) and Best Picture is on the bubble atm.
If it wins PGA, SAG it is going to sweep. DGA is already locked.