Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Alright people, join in the prayer circle for Nolan's nominations.

eescorpius wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 9:30 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 8:19 pm
natalie wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 12:50 pm
THR starting its hate campaign...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235791011/
id say HR makes a very good case FOR the directors and the movies, they are not the problem, people complain that Oppenheimer didnt show the Japanese perspective, but i reject that narrative, instead other filmmakers, hopefully those closer to that story should be empowered to tell it from their perspective adding and complementing to the greater collection of media about it, Godzilla minus one might just be a perfect contemporary example of just that.

i will mantain that Chris`s descision to stay away from the Japanese perspective elevates the film, the stories about Hiroshima and Nagasaki are other artist`s to tell
As a Chinese, and a descendent of people who were terrorized by Imperial Japan, the last thing I would want is the perspective of the Japanese without putting into context what Imperial Japan did. I am thankful that Chris' perspective was neutral. I guarantee you if they portray Japan as victims, the majority of East Asia will have a problem with the movie. I won't speak on KoTFM and the Osage perspective, but in terms of Oppenheimer, THR needs to get off their holier-than-thou Western high horse because they really have no fucking idea about any Asian history.
This right here is what I think about whenever someone criticizes the lack of Japanese perspective in the movie. These same people don't look at The Wind Rises question why there isn't a Korean perspective. People don't think about the WORLD war part of World War 2.

Also, there are so many wonderful Japanese films about the bomb, person fav being Immura's Black Rain.

A Borges man wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 11:25 pm
eescorpius wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 9:30 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
January 22nd, 2024, 8:19 pm

id say HR makes a very good case FOR the directors and the movies, they are not the problem, people complain that Oppenheimer didnt show the Japanese perspective, but i reject that narrative, instead other filmmakers, hopefully those closer to that story should be empowered to tell it from their perspective adding and complementing to the greater collection of media about it, Godzilla minus one might just be a perfect contemporary example of just that.

i will mantain that Chris`s descision to stay away from the Japanese perspective elevates the film, the stories about Hiroshima and Nagasaki are other artist`s to tell
As a Chinese, and a descendent of people who were terrorized by Imperial Japan, the last thing I would want is the perspective of the Japanese without putting into context what Imperial Japan did. I am thankful that Chris' perspective was neutral. I guarantee you if they portray Japan as victims, the majority of East Asia will have a problem with the movie. I won't speak on KoTFM and the Osage perspective, but in terms of Oppenheimer, THR needs to get off their holier-than-thou Western high horse because they really have no fucking idea about any Asian history.
This right here is what I think about whenever someone criticizes the lack of Japanese perspective in the movie. These same people don't look at The Wind Rises question why there isn't a Korean perspective. People don't think about the WORLD war part of World War 2.

Also, there are so many wonderful Japanese films about the bomb, person fav being Immura's Black Rain.
I have to say, as a Nolan fan for 15 years, I was incredibly worried about Oppenheimer's portrayal of Japan before the movie came out. I do think that the civilians killed by the bomb were innocent, but whenever the Western society cries for these 100,000ish people they tend to ignore the millions of victims of Imperial Japan. This is what I have a problem with. I guarantee you there are still a lot of people who have no idea what Imperial Japan did. I grew up in North America, the Nanking Massacre was only mentioned in one sentence the entire time during Social Studies.

That was my biggest issue with Killers of the Flower Moon being told from the perspective it had. You could tell it wasn’t Scorsese’s story to tell because he had no knowledge of native Indian culture and that’s why every native in the film is a victim and all they speak on is how they’re oppressed or they speak about white people. They have no personality and it becomes clear they’re just all caricatures for white guilt. And that’s all the story can end up being as a result from the perspective it focuses on.

I’m glad Nolan didn’t depict the Japanese because he would’ve just victimized them and not been able to present them as real people. Instead, he focuses on the American system and is able to humanize his characters

So we have this for now:

Best Supporting Actor
Best Costume Design
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Supporting Actress

Did I miss something?

13 noms! Like BAFTA.

13 goddamn nominations?! Damn!

Basically aside from the initial VFX snub, we got all the nominations we were expecting to get.

13 chances to win one :D
hehe kidding...
i am happy
may it win as much as it is nominated for

I know it won't win all 13 of them, but if it somehow magically did, then it would beat the record of "Ben-Hur", "Titanic" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" in winning the most Oscars for a single film ever. Just a funny thought.