Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
666kalpa wrote:
January 9th, 2024, 12:25 pm
how Hans Zimmer never won for working for a Nolan film...
This will always be insane to me. He deserved multiple awards during their run together.

Screen Actors Guild Award Nominations

- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A CAST IN A MOTION PICTURE
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A MALE ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A FEMALE ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A MALE ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

On a side note, extremely happy to see Penelope Cruz getting a SAG nomination for Ferrari. Exceptional performance and one of my favs of the year

But yeah SAGs are huge. The fact Emily Blunt got in is a pretty convincing show of the awards power this film has.

The best thing about this year is that aside from the visual effects snub, I think nominations are pretty safe for most awards.

The list of actors included in Best ensemble is so reductive. Like how can Krumholtz or Clarke not be there ? Yeah, I know, it's all about billing order.
I would like the enitre cast up to Remar, Thirlby and Blair to be there!
Happy to see Quaid, Dastmalchian... were invited at the GG afterparty.

With POOR THINGS and THE HOLDOVERS missing SAG Best Ensemble, OPPENHEIMER secure his edge in Oscars Best Picture competition.

eescorpius wrote:
January 10th, 2024, 12:16 pm
The best thing about this year is that aside from the visual effects snub, I think nominations are pretty safe for most awards.

so, are the members of these guilds the same as the ones who nominate movies for the mentioned categories (namely, prod design, makeup and costume) in Oscar?

All members of the union vote for the awards of their union, whereas only some who've been invited by the Academy can vote for the Oscars.
But unions remain a much better indication of which films are popular inside the Academy than awards voted by critics (GG included).

Demoph wrote:
January 10th, 2024, 1:08 pm
The list of actors included in Best ensemble is so reductive. Like how can Krumholtz or Clarke not be there ? Yeah, I know, it's all about billing order.
I would like the enitre cast up to Remar, Thirlby and Blair to be there!
Happy to see Quaid, Dastmalchian... were invited at the GG afterparty.
Seems wrong to leave out David Krumholtz and Jason Clarke on the Oppenheimer ensemble list. I noticed Color Purple has a million names listed. Oppy had room to list at least a couple more people in there. I would have included Gary Oldman too. Brief appearance, but memorable as President Truman.

EDIT: Josh Hartnett & Tom Conti were freaking great too. I don't understand the politics of this deal. If Color Purple can name 13 people or whatever it was, Oppy should have done something similar. They had a ton of really good performances in Oppy.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
January 10th, 2024, 1:17 pm
With POOR THINGS and THE HOLDOVERS missing SAG Best Ensemble, OPPENHEIMER secure his edge in Oscars Best Picture competition.
I'm shocked those 2 movies did not make it. That said, they are still gonna be serious contenders at the Oscars.