Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I think Yorgo wins best director. His movie is well received and it is different enough to attract enough votes.

According to most predictions, Oppenheimer is the clear front runner in Best Picture and Best Director. Also has a chance in Adapted Screenplay.
I think it’s greatest competition will be Killers of the Flower Moon, so we’ll have to wait one more week to see what Nolan is up against.
There’s also a lot of buzz surrounding Poor Things, but idk for some reason I don’t see that one winning.

I could see this winning Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay, as well as Best Cinematography.

dvir971 wrote:
October 14th, 2023, 12:28 am
I think it’s greatest competition will be Killers of the Flower Moon, so we’ll have to wait one more week to see what Nolan is up against.
Ultimately it may very well be that the Best Picture winner will come down to whether the Academy thinks it's worse for Nolan to have no Best Picture wins or for Scorsese to have only one (and likewise with Best Director if memory serves). If Scorsese and his team are able to capture the scope and horror of the book, then both films would be deserving by their own merits, I'd think.

Glad we are talking about this. I think we (us, the NolanFans) might want to consider that WE can be doing a good deal of campaigning through socials on behalf of this film. After Andrea Reisborough got picked up last year, the takeaway is that the voting members of the academy are absolutely online. I think there’s enough of us to boost Oppie’s social media presence and lobby hard for Nolan’s Oscar - no matter how small an audience you may have on socials individually. We need a shared tag, and probably to really pace ourselves (we don’t want to front load this in October - probably move to when ballots begin going out). And we want to be a “positive” campaign - no tearing down other films, etc. that’s just my take. I really want Nolan to get his director trophy. I think we all do. Why not put out some effort to help?

Not sure Oppie needs much social media campaigning 😅 But seriously, no matter what happens with future accolades, I hope we all have a healthy recognition that the film in so many ways has accomplished a lot!

Yeah, comparing one of this year's highest grossing films (in fact, the highest grossing biographical film of all time) with 'To Leslie' in terms of needs of attention seems quite ridiculous. Let Universal Pictures and him do the campaigning.

EOLB wrote:
October 15th, 2023, 6:34 am
Yeah, comparing one of this year's highest grossing films (in fact, the highest grossing biographical film of all time) with 'To Leslie' in terms of needs of attention seems quite ridiculous. Let Universal Pictures and him do the campaigning.
Y’all are no fun. For the record it’s not that I’m comparing size of Oppie and To Leslie - which is pretty obvious- I’m illustrating the weight social media has. And the fact we have no actors able to do promotion right now is shit. It would be nice if the fan community just made some effort frankly.

I still think this is going to get robbed at the Oscars

Campaigning will have a major impact on the results so crossing my fingers for the SAG strike to end soon so RDJ can campaign. He's like the poster boy for "good at campaigning" and if he can make use of his charms during a campaign, it will benefit Oppenheimer in all categories, not just in his own category.