Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
look i know oscars aren’t everything but cillian has to win, right? this is in the discussion of the best real life performance since peter o’toole it would be insane to give it to anyone else

also think if the actors get recognized that bodes well for director/bp chances

Michaelf2225 wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 11:30 am
look i know oscars aren’t everything but cillian has to win, right? this is in the discussion of the best real life performance since peter o’toole it would be insane to give it to anyone else

also think if the actors get recognized that bodes well for director/bp chances
I don't trust anything in a world where Jonny Greenwood's score for Phantom Thread and Hans Zimmer's score for Dunkirk can both lose to Alexandre Desplat's score for The Shape of Water.

Like Vader said, it's just people choosing what matches their taste at the time.

Bacon wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 11:34 am

I don't trust anything in a world where Jonny Greenwood's score for Phantom Thread and Hans Zimmer's score for Dunkirk can both lose to Alexandre Desplat's score for The Shape of Water.

Like Vader said, it's just people choosing what matches their taste at the time.
Ugh don't remind of this. Average ass score for a slightly above average movie is what that is.

bootsy wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 3:45 pm
Bacon wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 11:34 am

Ugh don't remind of this. Average ass score for a slightly above average movie is what that is.
I remember in 2015 I was fine with Desplat winning for "Grand Budapest" despite Zimmer's "Interstellar" being 10x better because I still did like Desplat's score for it + he was way overdue for an Oscar.

2017 was another matter. I vaguely remember Desplat's score being alright, but like the film as a whole it felt vastly overrated. "Shape of Water" was a movie defined by shallow characters and a shallow story that was overrated due to good production design/cinematography (which owed much of its look to Amelie).

To me, Del Toro's Best Pic and Director wins were make-up awards for Pan's Labyrinth.

People don't realize how much power the actors branch have within the Academy.

Oppenheimer is very much in a leading position for Best Picture at this point in time.

They tend to use Nolan for ratings. They selected his work on box office hits Dunkirk and Inception but robbed him. They overlooked him for The Dark Knight. I think he should have at least four Oscars like Eastwood. I think the Academy hands Barbie the best picture over Oppenheimer. I believe his peers are jealous of him.

JonPeters wrote:
August 7th, 2023, 1:59 pm
They tend to use Nolan for ratings. They selected his work on box office hits Dunkirk and Inception but robbed him. They overlooked him for The Dark Knight. I think he should have at least four Oscars like Eastwood. I think the Academy hands Barbie the best picture over Oppenheimer. I believe his peers are jealous of him.
His peers like him. His been nominated for DGA 4 times out of his 11 films and if take away Following it is 10. They are not jealous of him. This isn’t middle school. If Barbie wins best picture it because it is good movie. It is universal film with heart warming message. Not mention the production and performances are great.

I genuinely think the only one who has jealous, and quite frankly, bitter peers is David Fincher.

Him losing Social Network Best Director to Tom Hooper Kings Speech was the biggest fuck you I’ve ever seen.

BobCobb wrote:
August 7th, 2023, 10:21 pm
I genuinely think the only one who has jealous, and quite frankly, bitter peers is David Fincher.

Him losing Social Network Best Director to Tom Hooper Kings Speech was the biggest fuck you I’ve ever seen.
I feel nearly every big name filmmaker from Scorsese to Fincher to Tarantino to Nolan to PTA have been robbed almost every time they’ve made a film deserving of awards

Regardless, the box office for this film won’t matter. The fact this is a movie told entirely from a white male POV in the current social climate will majorly work against it during awards season as well.

BobCobb wrote:
August 7th, 2023, 10:21 pm

They did Fincher dirty as hell with that one, but after all these years, he`s continued to direct and produce quality stuff, TGWTDT is a personal favourite of mine, Mank got several noms, he produced and directed damn good episodes of House of cards and Manhunter, and there is hype for The Killer, and Tom Hooper well, he directed Cats...

call it poetic justice, Karma or whatever, i enjoyed King`s speech, but a lot like the Artist, it had no right to win best picture.