Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Oku
Just to play hypotheticals: if this had been a December release, and Mr. Nolan came out and said, "Oppenheimer is my last movie. I'm retiring." and was somehow able to present physical, irrefutable evidence that he would never make a film again, then Oppenheimer would completely and utterly sweep the Oscars. I'm talking record-breaking number of nominations, and multiple acting noms in the same category, with even Mr. Conti possibly squeezing in a nom for Best Supporting Actor.

Instead, we're going to get a repeat of Dunkirk. It's going to get like 10 noms, win in a few technical categories, and that's it.

That's how little the Oscars have to do with a film's actual quality and more to do with release timing, campaign narrative, and charming the voters.

Oku wrote:
July 30th, 2023, 11:40 pm
Just to play hypotheticals: if this had been a December release, and Mr. Nolan came out and said, "Oppenheimer is my last movie. I'm retiring." and was somehow able to present physical, irrefutable evidence that he would never make a film again, then Oppenheimer would completely and utterly sweep the Oscars. I'm talking record-breaking number of nominations, and multiple acting noms in the same category, with even Mr. Conti possibly squeezing in a nom for Best Supporting Actor.

Instead, we're going to get a repeat of Dunkirk. It's going to get like 10 noms, win in a few technical categories, and that's it.

That's how little the Oscars have to do with a film's actual quality and more to do with release timing, campaign narrative, and charming the voters.
By this logic, I wonder if Tarantino’s last film will sweep the Oscar’s

I think the Adapted Screenplay Oscar is a lock for Nolan.

Best Director is gonna be a tough one this year.

BobCobb wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 12:13 pm

I hope so. If he won Best Screenplay but lost Best Director/Picture - it would definitely soften the blow, because he at least would have an Oscar of some kind (imho it is a crime he didn't win Screenplay for Memento - I need to rewatch Gosford Park, but looking at that Best Screenplay category... how did it beat Memento, Amelie, and the Royal Tenenbaums? Just because it was a Best Pic nominee?)

nightfury93 wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 12:19 pm
BobCobb wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 12:13 pm

I hope so. If he won Best Screenplay but lost Best Director/Picture - it would definitely soften the blow, because he at least would have an Oscar of some kind (imho it is a crime he didn't win Screenplay for Memento - I need to rewatch Gosford Park, but looking at that Best Screenplay category... how did it beat Memento, Amelie, and the Royal Tenenbaums? Just because it was a Best Pic nominee?)
I mean it’s also Robert Altman, who’s one of the greatest writers and directors to ever do it

I would really love to see Margot Robbie & Cillian Murphy present together at some point!

Frankthetank wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 1:13 pm
I would really love to see Margot Robbie & Cillian Murphy present together at some point!
oh ive been fantasizing about this very thing! the surely must present together, hell even Chris and Greta should present another category together aswell :thumbup:

I think nominations wise it will get:
Picture, Director, Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Editing, Sound, Score, Cinematography, Adapted Screenplay and Production Design.
Nolan's films most of the times win a couple of craft awards. This year I think it will be Editing and potentially Score/Cinematography/Sound depending on competition(it's too early...).
RDJ I think will have more chances than Cillian.
Nolan will contend but not sure if he will win. Picture is not impossible as I think will have the support of the actors(which is the biggest branch in the acedemy).