'Oppenheimer' Nolanfans User Reviews

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Just saw it for the third time in IMAX (digital). Loses a little bit of magic from the first two times I saw it on film, but made up for it in sheer screen size and volume. Totally overwhelming. And it was fun to pay more attention to audience reactions. There were a few pockets of people that seemed to be having a panic attack during the Trinity lead up. Just great.

Anyway, here’s my incredibly smart Letterboxd review:
Really captures the universal experience of looking at your invention of genocide and suddenly remembering the first time you boned your ex-girlfriend.

After watching it 5 Times, this is the Best movie i have seen in the last twenty years 11/10, greetings from peru, 😃😃

Tarssauce wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 1:11 pm
How many times are too many?

I’ve seen it 5 times already and I wanna see it two or three more times but I’m starting to feel like I’m spending so much money (car travel costs).

2x IMAX (July 20)
2x DOLBY (July 24)
1x Standard (July 30)

I’m going to see it in IMAX for probably the last time this week. But I also wanted to see it in another Dolby cinema too and I hoped I could space them but I don’t know if it’ll be replaced next week. I’m indecisive lol.
was it dual Laser IMAX? I actualy went to a ICON-X theater today (whcih is it's own format; simmilar to IMAX/dolby but can't remember the differences and technicalities), and i found it better than the dual laser IMAX i went to, in terms of image and color. The aspect ratio was cut off a bit, but not as much as 2.39:1 I think. I will be seeing it in 70mm IMAX a total of 3 times by the time August 30 comes around, and 2 times in the Dual Laser IMAX, and once in ICON-X format. So far, on my 4th viewing, the film just DOES NOT GET OLD for some reason. Every moment is so well paced with the next moment and draws you in further and further with each cinematic tool (music being a BIG part).... It's insane.

My Thoughts:

10/10

Murphy's performance is perfection. This is the best acted film in Nolan's oeuvre.
Actor rankings: 1. Murphy
2. Krumholtz
3. Damon (we take him granted, he is a great actor)
4. Downey
5. Affleck (fuckin' devil himself....holy shit)
Liked everyone, Safdie's accented was fucked, his Hungarian accent was dire, but he got Teller's vibe down, sweaty wierd-o with a hydrogen fetish.

I love how much of the movie is based around inference and implication: The Pash scene being the perfect example.
Ludwig score is amazing! Monumental...I hope him and Nolan work together for a long time...Zimmer who?
The sound design was extraordinary, and I heard every word of dialogue crystal clear.

Lame's edited is insane. Hoyte got such beautiful close-ups, film portraiture. Loved the quantum stuff. The ending fucked me up for 2 weeks.

Can't get over Nolan pulling this off, an adult movie, that is dense and singular, as a blockbuster. I can't wait for what's next, I have absolutely no idea where he goes next, this felt like such a culmination.

It's impossible for me to rank his movies, but this is in the top tier. Masterpiece, can't wait to watch it over and over again.

dissonance wrote:
August 8th, 2023, 3:33 am
was it dual Laser IMAX? I actualy went to a ICON-X theater today (whcih is it's own format; simmilar to IMAX/dolby but can't remember the differences and technicalities), and i found it better than the dual laser IMAX i went to, in terms of image and color. The aspect ratio was cut off a bit, but not as much as 2.39:1 I think. I will be seeing it in 70mm IMAX a total of 3 times by the time August 30 comes around, and 2 times in the Dual Laser IMAX, and once in ICON-X format. So far, on my 4th viewing, the film just DOES NOT GET OLD for some reason. Every moment is so well paced with the next moment and draws you in further and further with each cinematic tool (music being a BIG part).... It's insane.
I saw it once in IMAX Xenon and once in IMAX with Laser (both 1.90:1) screens. Not as impressive as 1.43:1 as I imagine, but still great.

I think the film works really well in constant 2.20:1 compared to a mixture of 2.20:1 and 1.90:1. The difference is not dramatic and there aren't as many full IMAX scenes in Oppenheimer as much as there was in Dunkirk or Tenet (wish I could've seen it in IMAX).

I really loved the Dolby presentation the most but I had to see it one final time in IMAX. I'm going tomorrow. It really doesn't get old or boring.

i`ve had no chance to get a second viewing yet, but only thinking and processing my feelings about it, i think its Chris`s best film, its a gigantic accomplishment, the ending alone is one of the most powerful moments in cinema period, its like everything went right for this movie, down to the Barbenheimer phenomenon, id say its some way the universe has of paying back to Chris all the hardships of Tenet and the BS Warner pulled back then, i sincerely hope come awards season he`s given the recognition he`s been deserving since more than a decade ago, but if not i think the fact that the movie goers are speaking with their wallets and flocking to the theaters, even here in my little country filling to this very day every showing and every seat of those IMAX screens, is reward enough for team Nolan.

I myself have taken a pessimistic view of the industry these last couple of years, people loosing hope in the theater experience during and after covid, the advent of AI and the existencial threat it poses to artists, the dissapereance of the mid budget movies, but i have to say this last month has been a ray of much needed sunshine, people showing that they want to be challenged, they want a good reason to be back in the theaters, also writters and actors standing up to the studios once again, promoting a conversation around the topics of AI among other things, ive regained a lot of hope, and part of that was being able to go to my IMAX screen and jut watch a fucking masterpiece, thanks again team Nolan :gonf: :gonf: :gonf:

After years of disappointments with Nolan's recent output (Dunkirk & Tenet) I thoroughly enjoyed Oppenheimer and think it's a great movie, with great performances led by the always great Cillian Murphy (who I was excited got the role) and storytelling and comes together well in the end. Despite its very long runtime it's fast-paced, and if anything some scenes could have used some more time but it's fine enough as is. For a long time I felt and said that Nolan needed to get back to something smaller and character-based and more talky instead of action and special effects and now that that's happened it's turned out to meet/exceed my expectations. Bottom line is everybody should give this movie a chance even if you too felt Nolan's recent stuff was lacking. :twothumbsup:

cant have enough of this movie...
watched it 5 times already...
all in standard screens ...
no IMAX here.. the nearest liemax is about 650miles away

666kalpa wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 8:15 am
wow, where do you live?

dissonance wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 1:30 pm
666kalpa wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 8:15 am
wow, where do you live?
at a quite remote Northeastern corner of India.