'Oppenheimer' Nolanfans User Reviews

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
radewart wrote:
July 30th, 2023, 8:42 pm
Finally say this today at the Indy IMAX, which thankfully went off great...no big long review, just add that that it absolutely lives up to the hype. Murphy was outstanding, but the whole cast was tremendous. Not a misfire performance at all. The Trinty Test was one of the most thrilling sequences I've ever watched in the theater. The Dark Knight is still number 1 for me (largely due to my love of Batman), but likely put Oppenheimer number 2, slightly over Inception.
I'm in the same boat as you, I don't know if anything will ever top The Dark Knight experience for me, even if some of that is blind nostalgia. I don't quite know where I'd rate Oppenheimer yet, but it's hard to deny there's a technical prowess on display here that in retrospect makes some of his other movies look like they were made by a less capable director. That's not a diss to his other movies, just that he's clearly at the peak of his game now.

P.S. Do you know if you're able to view the projection booth anywhere at that theater? I tried to go back the next day to find out but the doors were locked during the night showing.

It was a fucking brilliant movie.
I have not seen sucha a good movie in every term of this word, in many, many years.
Probably a masterpiece and instant classic.
I need a second view, I'll go on Friday.

9,5 (maybe 10 after 2nd view)/10

I finally saw the film yesterday. The ending... I'm speechless!

Hustler wrote:
July 30th, 2023, 9:45 pm
radewart wrote:
Finally say this today at the Indy IMAX, which thankfully went off great...no big long review, just add that that it absolutely lives up to the hype. Murphy was outstanding, but the whole cast was tremendous. Not a misfire performance at all. The Trinty Test was one of the most thrilling sequences I've ever watched in the theater. The Dark Knight is still number 1 for me (largely due to my love of Batman), but likely put Oppenheimer number 2, slightly over Inception.
I'm in the same boat as you, I don't know if anything will ever top The Dark Knight experience for me, even if some of that is blind nostalgia. I don't quite know where I'd rate Oppenheimer yet, but it's hard to deny there's a technical prowess on display here that in retrospect makes some of his other movies look like they were made by a less capable director. That's not a diss to his other movies, just that he's clearly at the peak of his game now.

P.S. Do you know if you're able to view the projection booth anywhere at that theater? I tried to go back the next day to find out but the doors were locked during the night showing.
Na, didn't try to see the booth, as soon as the credits hit the screen, I had to rush to the bathroom....

Just came out of BFI IMAX, it was an absolutely thrilling screening, the images and the sound especially are something out of this world, and I have to say, I enjoyed it more now than the for first time. The structure of the final hour made more sense now... and the sound, the sound!! Those small snippets of "nuclear visions" and the Trinity test are absolutely astonishing. Loved it. Wish I could see it again here in the future.

radewart wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 11:31 am
Hustler wrote:
radewart wrote:

Na, didn't try to see the booth, as soon as the credits hit the screen, I had to rush to the bathroom....
I actually have a J-pouch (had colon taken out due to ulcerative colitis when I was a teenager) so I use the bathroom more than most folks. The one downside of seeing this movie is I'm hoping I can get through it without having to leave to use the bathroom. We're gonna see it in the morning since I tend to be better that time of the day - but we'll see.

Big reason I don't go to the theatre much anymore.

It’s a return to form (after his last two movies). And it’s a return to a genre that has historical roots of unveiling US history and its myths. I think most americans actually don’t understand how influential cinema was to promote US culture worldwide.
Sadly, this industry has been seized by a bunch of lunatics whose political ideology is based on rewriting history which, obviously, is antagonistic to the genre.

Nolan technical excellence is seen all through it. Sound-design, pace, cutting through time and going deeper within it. I knew immediately what the ending was going to be, it’s so very Nolan. Some might find it repetitive, but he ends it with such confidence, that I will never get tired of it.

I prefer fiction, I think it gives liberties to storytellers like him while here he operates within certain limits. It’s a great film, maybe middle of the road in his career, but I don’t know a better storyteller working in this era.
Cillian was a great surprise. Cast was lovely but I would have enjoyed a couple more heavy weights (like the lovely Truman surprise).

I'm super happy about this film success. :)

radewart wrote:
July 31st, 2023, 11:31 am
Hustler wrote:
radewart wrote:

Yes, Nolan is testing the limits of the IMAX platter AND our bladders. Unfortunately I can't extend the latter, so I have to exercise a little discipline when going to see a movie. I stop drinking completely a solid two hours or so beforehand, so after using the restroom a couple times I know I'm good to go. Then I get a drink at the theater but wait until a good way through to start sipping haha.

Silfan wrote:
July 28th, 2023, 12:15 pm
When It was announced that Christopher Nolan was making a film about the life of Robert Oppenheimer - based on the book American Prometheus - Being a big of a nolan fan I am, I immediately bought the book and started reading it. But I didn't do it just out of sheer curiosity. I did this, when a puzzling, even delusional thought began to introduce itself into my mind. I decided to play some nasty little game with myself; After I'll read the book, I will think with myself, and try to guess with myself how this story will look - in the hands of my role model - to what extent can I match his vision - and is it possible that my vision will even surpass his?
Of course I didn't write an actual script. It was a colossal waste of my energy and precious time on a project that would also potentially yield me nothing. Not that a little synopsis will bring me money, recognition, or appreciation. But, nevertheless, I decided to do it, at least a little synopsis - because sometimes the most correct and beautiful things are things you do for yourself.

I divided it into four different linear lines. A, B, C, and D.

1:
A - Oppenheimer as a child. Learns about the story of Adam and Eve, and the forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge.
B- Oppenheimer meets Jane Tetlock, a little bit of talk about Communism.
C- World War II starts.
D- The beginning of the political persecution.

2:
A- It is emphasized that the young Oppenheimer is ashamed of his Jewish origin (something that is clarified in the book but not in the film).
B- Oppenheimer is disillusioned with communism, due to the revelations about the practical implementation of the ideology in the Soviet Union. It is made clear that his relationship with Tetlock is also shaken.
C- Oppenheimer realizes that he must take the atomic project on his back - his re-acceptance of being Jewish. The understanding that life cannot be lived as a hermit, but that the world has always been and always will be divided into different groups fighting for survival and reproduction. The absolute negation of the naive communist idea of youth, and the practical eating from the tree of knowledge. The beginning of the Manhattan Project. Teller and the hydrogen bomb are highlighted.
D- Persecution progress. they talk about the 'spy', about all kinds of suspicious situations. Strauss and the like. Media panic. Shame.

3:
All of the story points are about to reach their end and climax, as the scientists prepare for the first atomic experiment, Trinity. The personal life of Robert Oppenheimer, with all its key moments, from being a boy to becoming a bitter old man, swirls together with the fission process of the atomic bomb, the first weapon of mass destruction in history, as if it were the same. this climax occurs as a montage of at least thirty minutes. in the style of the Astronaut's journey through the lights in 2001: we go deep into the bomb and into the atoms when they begin to move and shatter; Oppenheimer tries to poison his teacher with an apple; Neurons escape from each other, moving in a black space; Jean commits suicide, leaving Robert broken; Back into the atoms, they move, they slide, they look like dead stars (these segments are not supposed to happen in seconds, but over long minutes); Oppenheimer is denounced as a traitor, grows old, and dies; The cigarette smoke that led to his early death turns into red gas, into quantum particles - the atoms are compressed and finally condense, creating a massive explosion that kills tens of thousands of people in Hiroshima. THE END.

The thematic emphasis in the story is on the destructive instinct in man and humanity. And the goal is to draw a parallel between Oppenheimer's life and the story of humanity in the twentieth century; which began with the pure and beautiful curiosity of youth, to a journey of no return into the abyss and destruction.

What do you guys think about this concept?
why didnt none of you respond?

I saw it for a second time last night. Loved it, loved it, loved it.This time I was able to pay more attention to the score which is absolutely brilliant.
The Trinity test also worked even better on the second viewing and that ending. Damn, it hits so hard. I think it is one of his best endings.