'Oppenheimer' Nolanfans User Reviews

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Watched for the 2nd time today. Was far easier to follow, even though I’ve read the book also. The ending destroyed me…again

I feel a reason why I don't find it as disturbing and unnerving as other is that I don't see using the bomb as such a worse crime than any of the others that were committed through WW2. The US army, to focus on them, but of course many other armies committed even worse crimes, bombed all of western Europe killing thousands of civilians, not only in Germany but also in France or in the Netherlands. There was no way, A-bomb or not, that they were not going to do the same in Japan.
Civilians were at the heart of the war, from the beginning due to the war being the consequence of a racist ideology that gave no value to the citizen of other countries. The number of civilans that died in WW2 is so high, it is impossible to comprehend, reason fails to capture the horror of what WW2 was. I mean 6 million people were killed because of their origins during the shoah. That number alone is impossible to grasp. And millions of other citizen died under bombs. The decision to throw the bomb on Japan is the continuity of a war where there was no humanity left anywhere.

Just got back and goddamn this movie. Just fucking brilliant.

Discussion about the Trinity Test and how Nolan's compared to the real thing:
I've seen a couple of comments about the Trinity test scene, some people saying they felt a little underwhelmed and maybe he should have used CGI. I actually watched the real footage last night several times, and it looks very very similar to what Nolan recreated. We have to remember the real test looked quite different to what we associate with other other atomic explosions, huge mushroom clouds etc, probably due to the lower yield, and remember it was detonated at ground level. There is footage showing it with the shock wave and in more detail, but human eyes wouldn't have seen it like this.

I think Nolan did an absolutely amazing job showing what the witnesses would have experienced. Please if you haven't watched the real explosion for comparison check it out!

So fucking good.

9/10 probably. Going again this week and curious how it'll play on a rewatch.
Last edited by Bacon on July 23rd, 2023, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacon wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 1:30 pm
So fucking good
Indeed, indeed. Feel it!

15/70mm IMAX was absolutely insane. Now I want a rewatch at the Airbus IMAX in VA, dual 4K in 1.43 aspect…but their website is shit and saying that all showings are sold out…forever lol. Might need to give ‘em a call.

Deleting post.
Last edited by ConcreteDrifter on July 24th, 2023, 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saw it the second time, in 15/70. It’s more emotionally resonant this time, and the structure makes more sense now.