"Oppenheimer" Reviews Discussion

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Oku
I came here to post that, only to see that [n]atalie has already done so. Damn, you miss nothing, do you?

I think that that whoever at Metacritic is in charge of inputting the review scores took into account this article: https://variety.com/2023/film/columns/t ... 235747908/

Like countless moviegoers around the world, I’m a major fan of Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer.” But like many of those who saw it, I wasn’t alone in having qualifications about the last part of the movie. For me, the first two hours of “Oppenheimer” were electrifying. I felt the kind of full-scale mind/soul immersion that’s the definition of what we look for when we go to the movies. But in the last hour, I experienced a certain falling-off quality. I was still involved, but less involved. As the film kept returning to the 1954 hearing that resulted in Oppenheimer losing his security clearance, with Oppenheimer in the hot seat being hectored by a team of interrogators led by Jason Clarke’s special counsel to the AEC, I thought, “Why are we still at this damn hearing?” I asked because I didn’t know.

Now I do. A month or so after “Oppenheimer” opened, I went back and saw it again, and this time my qualifications evaporated. I was just as electrified as I’d been by the first two hours ­— only now that sensation didn’t end. The feeling of immersion lasted all three hours, right to the final shot. I’m a bit embarrassed to say this, since it means admitting that I didn’t get the film right the first time; as much as I raved about it in my Variety review, I would now rewrite the last part of that piece. But I’m even more fascinated by why I missed a crucial element of the movie.
The Variety score went from like a 70, I think, to now a 100, bringing up Oppenheimer's Metacritic score by one point from 88 to 89.

Which is quite surprising, to be honest. Like, why would Metacritic even bother? The movie came out months ago, so why go through the trouble?

I mean, I'm certainly not complaining, though! :D

2023 Critics Poll: The Best Films and Performances, According to 158 Critics from Around the World

https://www.indiewire.com/features/best ... 234933605/
“Oppenheimer” placed second on the Best Film list, with 69 overall mentions and 17 first place votes. Christopher Nolan was also number two on the Best Director list, Cillian Murphy was fourth for Best Performance, and the screenplay placed eighth. Hoyte van Hoytema’s cinematography came in first, however, the one category “Oppenheimer” topped outright. “Barbie,” meanwhile placed at number eight on the Best Film list, at number six on Best Director for Greta Gerwig, at number seven on Best Performance for Ryan Gosling, at number six for Prieto’s cinematography (doing double duty with “Killers” this year), and tied at number nine on Best Screenplay.

natalie wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 11:09 am
2023 Critics Poll: The Best Films and Performances, According to 158 Critics from Around the World

“Oppenheimer” placed second on the Best Film list, with 69 overall mentions and 17 first place votes. Christopher Nolan was also number two on the Best Director list, Cillian Murphy was fourth for Best Performance, and the screenplay placed eighth. Hoyte van Hoytema’s cinematography came in first, however, the one category “Oppenheimer” topped outright. “Barbie,” meanwhile placed at number eight on the Best Film list, at number six on Best Director for Greta Gerwig, at number seven on Best Performance for Ryan Gosling, at number six for Prieto’s cinematography (doing double duty with “Killers” this year), and tied at number nine on Best Screenplay.
Murphy was the highest rated male performer.

Critics are bad at giving awards, praise to screenplays...its always "dialogue" driven, which penalizes films like Oppenheimer, but there's is much more to a screenplay then writing snappy dialogue.

Also, I hate KOTFM and Scorses...jk...sorta

radewart wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 11:37 am
natalie wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 11:09 am

Murphy was the highest rated male performer.

Critics are bad at giving awards, praise to screenplays...its always "dialogue" driven, which penalizes films like Oppenheimer, but there's is much more to a screenplay then writing snappy dialogue.

Also, I hate KOTFM and Scorses...jk...sorta
I think Oppie has a lot of chances. Will see.