"Oppenheimer" Reviews Discussion

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Master Virgo wrote:
July 22nd, 2023, 8:47 am
Absolutely did not see that coming.

For the record:

Insomnia (B)
Batman Trilogy (A)
The Prestige (B)
Inception (B+)
Interstellar (B+)
Dunkirk (A-)
Tenet (B)
Same, honestly surprising bc general audiences have have a particular expectation, so for a this to get an A is a sign that the hunger for something interesting and new was in the cards

Grace Randolph will troll on this film all the way to the Oscars and if it doesn't win everything, she will raise her right eyebrow, while smirking all the way to her ears and declares with the most shrill voice she can possibly muster: "Seeeeee, I told you."

Master Virgo wrote:
July 22nd, 2023, 11:21 pm
Grace Randolph will troll on this film all the way to the Oscars and if it doesn't win everything, she will raise her right eyebrow, while smirking all the way to her ears and declares with the most shrill voice she can possibly muster: "Seeeeee, I told you."
She will find a way to obsess about this the way she obsesses over Jessica Chastain.

poplar wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 7:05 pm
RT 93% after 202 reviews.

I think not one negative since 16x or so.

I just want Oppie to stay on 90 on Metacritic.
Don't know if it's possible.
Dropped to 89% but up to 94% on RT. Very impressive.

If Nolan staged and filmed the actual bombings there’d be criticism that that’s all he did and didn’t dig deeper into dramatizing actual Japanese people living there and giving them more weight and agency. And if he did film these sequences they’d end up as WebM’s and Gif’s to be used as memes on the internet for which he’d be criticized for being ghoulishly exploitive and insensitive.

His approach was exactly right.