"Oppenheimer" Reviews Discussion

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Maximillian wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 8:46 pm
8.8 Avg rating on RT is Insane
Great to hear

Fantastic reviews, never thought it would reach the heights it has and likely to finish around 90-92% RT ans 90 on Meta.

Now onto the movie itself and the most important review, our own.

Enjoy everyone.

I also cancelled my tickets. Doodlebug was his last good movie.

It's funny how people love to cite critics when they give their favorite IP or filmmaker a glowing score. As soon as they give a negative or lukewarm one, like Interstellar or Tenet, people lose their minds and say critics are irrelevant.

Retskrad wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 5:18 am
It's funny how people love to cite critics when they give their favorite IP or filmmaker a glowing score. As soon as they give a negative or lukewarm one, like Interstellar or Tenet, people lose their minds and say critics are irrelevant.
You were rather adamant that this film would end up with significantly lower scores than it did. I told you right away this was going to do 90+ range on metacritic.

With the unilateral acclaim for Oppenheimer, Nolan has affirmed himself as one of the greats. He is Tarantino's superior and rivaling Scorsese (Oppenheimer currently beating Killers of Flower Moon on metacritic).

Retskrad wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 5:18 am
Also it is curious that you first said Oppenheimer wouldn't receive great reviews because "critics are harsh on IP", but now you changed your tune to "critics are overlooking the flaws" :lol:

Close this place down.

Critical consensus is important for two main reasons. High RT score will slightly help the film's box office, and high praise from top critics will give the film a significant boost for the awards season.

Don't think of it as "Oh who cares how a bunch of other people evaluate this film? it's all subjective blah blah."

That's not important. What matters is, that they contribute to the movie's overall success and reputation.

The guys at Kinda Funny reviewed Oppenheimer and they put it at number 7 in the Nolan ranking. I have seen prominent figures be critical of this movie. I think the overly positive critic scores should be taken with a grain of salt. The main criticism I’ve seen is, the film is mostly men talking in rooms for 3 hours, it has low rewatchability and you notice the long running time.