"Oppenheimer" Reviews Discussion

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Wow, just came back home. Seeing these reviews come in... Makes me very happy. I have a feeling this may be Nolan's magnum opus.

8.8 Avg rating on RT is Insane

What a lame critic consensus ...

poplar wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 8:54 pm
I thought the same haha. That's half the fun of Rotten Tomatoes is just waiting to see what the consensus will be, and this one feels lazy. I remember when The Dark Knight came out, that consensus got engrained in my mind:
Dark, complex, and unforgettable, The Dark Knight succeeds not just as an entertaining comic book film, but as a richly thrilling crime saga.
Oppenheimer's doesn't quite capture the magnitude of praise it's getting, and has that auto-generated staleness to it.

Yeah, that consensus is very much a "another masterpiece, yawn." But that it is a masterpiece remains undiminished.

Hustler wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 9:57 pm
poplar wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 8:54 pm
I thought the same haha. That's half the fun of Rotten Tomatoes is just waiting to see what the consensus will be, and this one feels lazy. I remember when The Dark Knight came out, that consensus got engrained in my mind:
Dark, complex, and unforgettable, The Dark Knight succeeds not just as an entertaining comic book film, but as a richly thrilling crime saga.
Oppenheimer's doesn't quite capture the magnitude of praise it's getting, and has that auto-generated staleness to it.
Exactly.