"Oppenheimer" Reviews Discussion

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I’m gonna eat breakfast now be back later

El Especial wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 1:05 pm
95% after 92 reviews (87+/5-)

Back to 97 now

hotsauce32 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 12:29 pm

One thing to note from Chris Stuckmann's review, he said the dialogue sound mix was still an issue and he could only discern 75% of the dialogue, and that it felt "muted" and "echoey".

I wonder if maybe it was something to do with the sound system and/or theater he watched it at. Aside from Stuckmann, the general consensus seems to be that the dialogue mix is a major step up from Tenet.

The Reel Rejects guys watched it at the Universal Citywalk 70mm IMAX and said they could understand the dialogue just fine, and argue that it could win Oscar for Best Sound Design

man nolan’s kicking ass again it’s quite glorious to see

hotsauce32 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 1:30 pm
hotsauce32 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 12:29 pm

One thing to note from Chris Stuckmann's review, he said the dialogue sound mix was still an issue and he could only discern 75% of the dialogue, and that it felt "muted" and "echoey".

I wonder if maybe it was something to do with the sound system and/or theater he watched it at. Aside from Stuckmann, the general consensus seems to be that the dialogue mix is a major step up from Tenet.

The Reel Rejects guys watched it at the Universal Citywalk 70mm IMAX and said they could understand the dialogue just fine, and argue that it could win Oscar for Best Sound Design
Theater audio setup can make a big difference. I remember with Inception, there was a line from DiCaprio late in the movie that had a ton of noise and music in the background. I saw the movie at 3 different theaters. Two of them featured very clear dialogue in this scene, but one theater had a problem on this scene where DiCaprio’s voice was drowned out by the various sound effects.

Man, it's taking all my willpower not to read all these until after the film's out. The fact that they're all incredibly positive (except for one I skimmed through which seems like it's still positive but not as much) is staggering.

RT - 94% (100 reviews)
Top Critics - 96% (2-ve)
Average - 9/10