Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Oku
It's almost that time of the year.

Oku
This person claims to have seen it:

(Source: https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topi ... /#comments)

His bio says "Casting director, SAG member. Current FL resident teaching acting biweekly. 🇺🇸" but he has no IMDb page, so it could be fake.

If it's real tho, an 8/10 sounds like we should temper our expectations a bit. The law of early reactions has shown us that generally speaking, "10/10; best movie ever!" = great, "8/10; great" = good, and "6/10; good" = mediocre.

Looking at that twitter feed and past "reviews" they all seem like vague bullshit.

Ace
I’m not going to trust that. Very vague.
His early review of Avatar 2 talks about a ‘goofy’ sex scene, but there is no such scene in the film.

IMAX vice president David Keighley hyped it up in this email exchange someone posted on Reddit.

Last edited by Ace on June 17th, 2023, 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Oku
Good eye; it's fake, then. I knew that something was fishy when he had no IMDb page. Must be that 'Will McCrab(?)' guy's alt lol

Ace, you must have a backlog of like 20 links that you were unable to post while the forums were down, no? :lol:

I replied to that guy, but it seems like complete bull. He has no social media presence anywhere else.

Oku wrote:
June 17th, 2023, 7:38 pm

His bio says "Casting director, SAG member. Current FL resident teaching acting biweekly. 🇺🇸" but he has no IMDb page, so it could be fake.

If it's real tho, an 8/10 sounds like we should temper our expectations a bit. The law of early reactions has shown us that generally speaking, "10/10; best movie ever!" = great, "8/10; great" = good, and "6/10; good" = mediocre.
It certainly sounds fake judging from the description he provides. Of course if he would have given the film a 10/10 rating we would not be saying so lol

Ace

Author of American Prometheus, Kai Bird has seen the film and was very positive about it.
@20:30 minutes.
I have seen the film last week and I'm not allowed to give the plot away, but if you've read the book you'll recognise the film and I am at the moment sort of stunned and emotionally recovering from having seen it.
It is I think going to be a stunning sort of artistic achievement and I have hopes that it will actually stimulate a national even global conversation about the issues that Oppenheimer was desperate to speak out about.

Ace wrote:
June 17th, 2023, 9:36 pm

Author of American Prometheus, Kai Bird has seen the film and was very positive about it.
@20:30 minutes.
I have seen the film last week and I'm not allowed to give the plot away, but if you've read the book you'll recognise the film and I am at the moment sort of stunned and emotionally recovering from having seen it.
It is I think going to be a stunning sort of artistic achievement and I have hopes that it will actually stimulate a national even global conversation about the issues that Oppenheimer was desperate to speak out about.
Man, I'd love for him and Nolan to do a scene-by-scene analysis (maybe a DVD commentary?) of the film, discussing how the history was adapted to the big screen, what was changed and why, similar to what Jim Hansen and Josh Singer did with First Man in the annotated screenplay they published, but I doubt we'll get that. Still exciting to hear this!

Oku wrote:
June 17th, 2023, 7:38 pm

True or not, an 8/10 from another person seems curious to me but that’s it. My only expectation is that the artist remains passionate and mindful about what they are doing which seems to be the case with Nolan so far in my opinion. Interesting tweet though.