Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
hasanahmad wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:50 am

guy seems desperate for attention. he wants some of the best parts of the movie cut out. the role which people say will win an acting oscar cut out and can't articulate why. maybe because that opinion is bone headed?
So I guess he wanted it to be like the 1989 Paul Newman movie, where it ends with the nuke test and doesn't show the later part of Oppenheimer's life. In any case, I cannot imagine wanting RDJ to be cut out of any movie. He's a pretty entertaining actor.

Maximillian wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:17 am
Where do you rank it in Nolan’s filmography?

Also, is RDJ’s overly hyped or does he really give a Oscar tier performance?

Thanks can’t wait to watch it Sunday !
All the leads are excellent, including RDJ. It's possibly his best. I won't be surprised if all three earn nominations.

Not sure where I'd rank. Higher than lower.

And just to say––Ehrlich is an excellent critic, and he's not "desperate for attention." Perhaps we should be more patient and thoughtful than trivializing and criticizing every other negative reaction.

Oppenheimer is a lot of movie, one that blends multiple genres within an epic historical drama. I'm not at all surprised that some of this works better for some than others based on preference and taste.

-Vader

Moving on up on Letterboxd also, from 3.8 to 4.0 overnight. So will the Rotten Tomatoes score be visible at 5pm GMT today?

Vader182 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 3:42 am
Maximillian wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:17 am
Where do you rank it in Nolan’s filmography?

Also, is RDJ’s overly hyped or does he really give a Oscar tier performance?

Thanks can’t wait to watch it Sunday !
All the leads are excellent, including RDJ. It's possibly his best. I won't be surprised if all three earn nominations.

Not sure where I'd rank. Higher than lower.

And just to say––Ehrlich is an excellent critic, and he's not "desperate for attention." Perhaps we should be more patient and thoughtful than trivializing and criticizing every other negative reaction.

Oppenheimer is a lot of movie, one that blends multiple genres within an epic historical drama. I'm not at all surprised that some of this works better for some than others based on preference and taste.

-Vader
Do you think an R Rating was the right move by Nolan here? Did those elements add to the film in a useful way?

Also, did any of the supporting (not top bill) cast have performances that stuck out for you?

Anyone still doubting that will premier to 90+ on Rt? ;)

Vader182 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:14 am
Don't know where to put my own reaction but Oppenheimer is fucking incredible and easily one of Nolan's best.

-Vader
That is great to hear from you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

And that David Ehrlich thing; I'm sure we all have at least one movie in our lives that everyone seems to love except us. I could point out a few right now, and I could attack some of them with real passion if asked to do, so... him not liking the film (that much?) shouldn't really mean anything for anyone other than him :D And I guess he has all the rights not to like the film.

Oku
redfirebird2008 wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 9:26 pm
Oku wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 9:16 pm
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 8:47 pm

:roll:
You do Greta Gerwig is acclaimed director right? Maybe she made a fantastic movie
No one is saying that critics are conspiring to falsely shower a bad movie with 10/10 ratings.

However, it is a fact that Barbie checks all the boxes that push critics to prop up a merely 'good' movie into being a 'great' one, whether they are aware of it or not.

It has the female focus, the diverse cast, the short run time, an acclaimed female director who is beloved with no personal drama, and so on.

All of these factors snowball into producing a general atmosphere of the media, as MaxContract put it, "wanting Barbie to be a masterpiece".

Again, it's not some giant conspiracy, just an implicit atmosphere by way of peer pressure that induces critics to go overboard and praise a merely 'good' movie as 'great'. If you've ever worked in that kind of media environment, then you'll know that what I'm talking about.

It's like being at a sports game surrounded by a passionate home team's fans. You can try to delude yourself as much as possible that you will be 'unbiased' and 'fair', but the reality is that it's nearly impossible to not get swept up in the exuberant atmosphere and end up going with the flow.

Then a few months or years later, when the 'narrative' wears off, people collectively wake up, scratch their heads, and admit that they may have overpraised the movie. The most prominent example of this was 2013's American Hustle. I'm sure that there are more examples.

Once this kind of narrative builds and snowballs, the film has to be absolutely positively dogshit to not be showered with critical acclaim. An example is 2018's A Wrinkle in Time, which by all measure should be sitting at 0% on Rotten Tomatoes or somewhere very close it, but is instead sitting at a very, very generous 42%.

Again, I am NOT saying that Barbie sucks, critics are wrong, etc. etc.. I am merely pointing out that the historical precedent is there for them to possibly, possibly be overpraising a merely 'good' movie as 'great'.
Marvel would put out the same movie over and over, yet critics would continue to give them overwhelming praise. It has somewhat died off recently. PIXAR is another brand that seemed to get overwhelming critical support for a long time. But when you watch the movie, your response might be "it's pretty good...but is it the best movie ever? Nope." That was my response today with Mission Impossible 7, which received pretty insane support from critics. It's pretty good, but it's too long. Worthy of such strong critical praise? Not sure about that.

I'm sure Gerwig has done a very good job with Barbie, and I'm certain she tried to make it something better than just a giant cash grab. But make no mistake, the movie IS a giant cash grab for both Warner Brothers and the Mattel toy company. They've seen the same data I found on Google, which is apparently that over 80% of the female population has owned a Barbie doll.
Speaking of Marvel, you just reminded me of a much better historical precedent than 2013's American Hustle: 2019's Captain Marvel.

For those unaware, the hate for Captain Marvel by the anti-woke crowd leading up to its release was feverish, and as I wrote above, this caused critics to respond by being lenient to the film's flaws and overpraising it.

But the funny thing is, even with said boost, Captain Marvel only managed to get a 79% on Rotten Tomatoes. Like, if it had been a 7/10 film, critics would have been tripping over themselves to shower it with 8/10s and 9/10s, and it would have easily got an RT score in the 90s. Instead, it was so mediocre that even with a powerful narrative pushing them, most critics couldn't in good conscience inflate their scores past a 7/10.

Now, if you tried to point out that Captain Marvel was a mediocre film back in 2019, you were instantly lumped in with the anti-woke crowd, labeled a misogynist, and dismissed. You do the same today and people will generally agree with you that it's a forgettable film.

I imagine that it will be a similar case with Barbie. I foresee that true discourse around the film (without bad-faith mud-slinging) will be impossible until 2024 at the earliest.

poplar wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:43 am
It has too many things (all white cast, 3 hour running time, Mr. Nolan up to his usual non-linear tricks, etc.) for detractors to easily point to, deride, and cite as negatives.

80s, maybe high 80s, is more likely. I'm even prepared for 70s.

Oku wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 6:02 am
redfirebird2008 wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 9:26 pm
Oku wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 9:16 pm

No one is saying that critics are conspiring to falsely shower a bad movie with 10/10 ratings.

However, it is a fact that Barbie checks all the boxes that push critics to prop up a merely 'good' movie into being a 'great' one, whether they are aware of it or not.

It has the female focus, the diverse cast, the short run time, an acclaimed female director who is beloved with no personal drama, and so on.

All of these factors snowball into producing a general atmosphere of the media, as MaxContract put it, "wanting Barbie to be a masterpiece".

Again, it's not some giant conspiracy, just an implicit atmosphere by way of peer pressure that induces critics to go overboard and praise a merely 'good' movie as 'great'. If you've ever worked in that kind of media environment, then you'll know that what I'm talking about.

It's like being at a sports game surrounded by a passionate home team's fans. You can try to delude yourself as much as possible that you will be 'unbiased' and 'fair', but the reality is that it's nearly impossible to not get swept up in the exuberant atmosphere and end up going with the flow.

Then a few months or years later, when the 'narrative' wears off, people collectively wake up, scratch their heads, and admit that they may have overpraised the movie. The most prominent example of this was 2013's American Hustle. I'm sure that there are more examples.

Once this kind of narrative builds and snowballs, the film has to be absolutely positively dogshit to not be showered with critical acclaim. An example is 2018's A Wrinkle in Time, which by all measure should be sitting at 0% on Rotten Tomatoes or somewhere very close it, but is instead sitting at a very, very generous 42%.

Again, I am NOT saying that Barbie sucks, critics are wrong, etc. etc.. I am merely pointing out that the historical precedent is there for them to possibly, possibly be overpraising a merely 'good' movie as 'great'.
Marvel would put out the same movie over and over, yet critics would continue to give them overwhelming praise. It has somewhat died off recently. PIXAR is another brand that seemed to get overwhelming critical support for a long time. But when you watch the movie, your response might be "it's pretty good...but is it the best movie ever? Nope." That was my response today with Mission Impossible 7, which received pretty insane support from critics. It's pretty good, but it's too long. Worthy of such strong critical praise? Not sure about that.

I'm sure Gerwig has done a very good job with Barbie, and I'm certain she tried to make it something better than just a giant cash grab. But make no mistake, the movie IS a giant cash grab for both Warner Brothers and the Mattel toy company. They've seen the same data I found on Google, which is apparently that over 80% of the female population has owned a Barbie doll.
Speaking of Marvel, you just reminded me of a much better historical precedent than 2013's American Hustle: 2019's Captain Marvel.

For those unaware, the hate for Captain Marvel by the anti-woke crowd leading up to its release was feverish, and as I wrote above, this caused critics to respond by being lenient to the film's flaws and overpraising it.

But the funny thing is, even with said boost, Captain Marvel only managed to get a 79% on Rotten Tomatoes. Like, if it had been a 7/10 film, critics would have been tripping over themselves to shower it with 8/10s and 9/10s, and it would have easily got an RT score in the 90s. Instead, it was so mediocre that even with a powerful narrative pushing them, most critics couldn't in good conscience inflate their scores past a 7/10.

Now, if you tried to point out that Captain Marvel was a mediocre film back in 2019, you were instantly lumped in with the anti-woke crowd, labeled a misogynist, and dismissed. You do the same today and people will generally agree with you that it's a forgettable film.

I imagine that it will be a similar case with Barbie. I foresee that true discourse around the film (without bad-faith mud-slinging) will be impossible until 2024 at the earliest.

poplar wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:43 am
It has too many things (all white cast, 3 hour running time, Mr. Nolan up to his usual non-linear tricks, etc.) for detractors to easily point to, deride, and cite as negatives.

80s, maybe high 80s, is more likely. I'm even prepared for 70s.
ALl white cast -> Not woke enough xD

Can we keep this thread to reactions? Lol