Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Retskrad wrote:
July 16th, 2023, 8:01 am
Based on the the recent early social media reactions, and the current movie landscape where critics are being extra harsh on IP content and extra positive on original IP and films without abundance of CGI, I think Oppenheimer will end up around 69-75 on Metacritic and 70-85% RT critic score with a median critic rating of 6.8/10 - 7.2/10
Quite ridiculous tbh. Early reviews are all clamouring that its Nolan's finest achievement and a monumental masterpiece. So far it's getting Dunkirk level praise. 90+ metacritic.

hairer wrote:
July 16th, 2023, 8:33 am
Retskrad wrote:
Based on the the recent early social media reactions, and the current movie landscape where critics are being extra harsh on IP content and extra positive on original IP and films without abundance of CGI, I think Oppenheimer will end up around 69-75 on Metacritic and 70-85% RT critic score with a median critic rating of 6.8/10 - 7.2/10
Quite ridiculous tbh. Early reviews are all clamouring that its Nolan's finest achievement and a monumental masterpiece. So far it's getting Dunkirk level praise. 90+ metacritic.
You could be right but early reactions are all always over the moon positive. At this point they are a meme because the praise is always ridiculous. Who knows what the critics on Wednesday will say about the film.

Early reactions are not always to be trusted, but Tenet early reactions were mixed and was not praised. Some people found it confusing. So RT for Tenet was not a surprise.

Retskrad wrote:
No way the score will be below 80%, even with just the French reviews that's not the case. And so far I haven't seen a single negative or even mixed British/American review.

Could you guys just for once stop feeding him. For Christ's sake.

It's a very American-centric story told with lots of hubris, so it may naturally alienate a bit of foreign critics/audiences.

I’d imagine it’ll be up around 85-90% on RT based on early word. Early word has been extremely strong but it’ll be a film that is divisive as almost all Nolan’s films are.

I know someone who saw Oppenheimer earlier last week, big Nolan fan and he said he needs to see again but it’s in top 3-4 Nolan films. Said his favourite part was the final hour but it’s all great.

Intrigued how Barbie (sorry) scores also. I noticed early raves but I don’t know a single one of those who reviewed it early, not from any publications/media outlets I’ve seen or heard of before. I truly don’t get what the film is going for with the trailer.

Intonestellar wrote:
July 16th, 2023, 12:00 pm
I’d imagine it’ll be up around 85-90% on RT based on early word. Early word has been extremely strong but it’ll be a film that is divisive as almost all Nolan’s films are.

I know someone who saw Oppenheimer earlier last week, big Nolan fan and he said he needs to see again but it’s in top 3-4 Nolan films. Said his favourite part was the final hour but it’s all great.

Intrigued how Barbie (sorry) scores also. I noticed early raves but I don’t know a single one of those who reviewed it early, not from any publications/media outlets I’ve seen or heard of before. I truly don’t get what the film is going for with the trailer.
I expect a 90%+ from Oppenheimer at this point. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a 95%+ honestly. We’ve seen plenty of renowned critics not only praise the film but call it a masterpiece. I expect we will see mixed reviews but there’s a strong chance a majority of them would still be positive.

With Barbie, I think it will get a high 80s/low 90s RT score but many of the reviews will likely be giving it a 6-7/10. I think there have already been complaints about the writing for the film and the people tweeting aren’t even big name critics. I still have a hard time believing it won’t get the benefit of the doubt from a majority of the critics because it seems everyone wants it to succeed and it is Greta Gerwig. She will be afforded a benefit of the doubt that most filmmakers never would get simply because of her themes being very timely and accepted by modern critics.

How many critic reactions have we gotten so far.

Nothing on Mark Kermode yet :think: