Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Vader182 wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 11:28 pm
physicshistoryguy wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 10:39 pm
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 10:33 pm
I don’t want to hit the spoiler but is it positive or negative
It is very positive; I personally don't think there's anything spoilery in it, but YMMV.
I mean, it's a confirmation of the structure of the movie––something Nolan intentionally wanted to keep secret. You're correct YMMV on how much we all care person to person, but for me a spoiler is "anything the filmmaker hopes you experience for the first time in a movie theater." How much one person or another feels something is or isn't a spoiler to them is sort of immaterial, in my opinion, compared to what the filmmaker designed his work to be.

Few thoughts I'll slap in spoiler tags just based on that one tweet:
For instance, your engagement with a movie that's one huge build-up and an eventual release inevitably changes when you know when that release hits, rather than being in a constant state of not knowing.

-Vader
what the filmmaker designed their work to be *

It's quite strange the difference between French and British/American reviews... most French people who have seen the film tell me it deserves 3.5/5. Maybe because the French haven't seen it in Imax?

Collins wrote:
July 16th, 2023, 4:43 am
It's quite strange the difference between French and British/American reviews... most French people who have seen the film tell me it deserves 3.5/5. Maybe because the French haven't seen it in Imax?
No. Oppenheimer is like Dunkirk 5/5 movie for critics and 3.5/5 for audience. Most people dont like 3 hours movie without spectacular actions.

rbej wrote:
July 16th, 2023, 4:48 am
Collins wrote:
July 16th, 2023, 4:43 am
No. Oppenheimer is like Dunkirk 5/5 movie for critics and 3.5/5 for audience. Most people dont like 3 hours movie without spectacular actions.
Most of the French people who have seen it are professional journalists.

I think it's more like a difference between European and American movie traditions. I think European film critics tend to be more critical of big American studio films anyway, especially critics from countries with an amazing history of film. I'm not saying this as a diss, mind you, but as a European myself, I see this sort of attitude in my home country both in critics and part of the audience alike.
Last edited by DHOPW42 on July 16th, 2023, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

What also frightens me in one of the reviews I've read is that apparently
the trial scene in the last hour is a bit disappointing (not as impactful as the one in JFK).

Based on the the recent early social media reactions, and the current movie landscape where critics are being extra harsh on IP content and extra positive on original IP and films without abundance of CGI, I think Oppenheimer will end up around 69-75 on Metacritic and 70-85% RT critic score with a median critic rating of 6.8/10 - 7.2/10

I dont think based on the early reactions the metacritic and RT scores will be so low as you mentioned. Oppenheimer is not original story, it is based on a book and true events but that does not mean that the way that the story is told is unoriginal. Dunkirk for example was also based on true events but the 3 story lines made the film original. Oppenheimer will be also unique in storytelling. And based on the early reactions i think RT score will end at 90%-93%. Metacritic will be 80-85%.

Retskrad wrote:
July 16th, 2023, 8:01 am
Based on the the recent early social media reactions, and the current movie landscape where critics are being extra harsh on IP content and extra positive on original IP and films without abundance of CGI, I think Oppenheimer will end up around 69-75 on Metacritic and 70-85% RT critic score with a median critic rating of 6.8/10 - 7.2/10
Quite pessimistic but hey, it's you after all ;)

Retskrad wrote:
July 16th, 2023, 8:01 am
Hopefully better than this but we shall see. Oscar Best Picture odds stand at: Flower Moon 4/1, Oppenheimer 5/1...interesting.