Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Rarely post but reading this thread and almost every pre release thread you’d never know this was a forum for Nolan fans.

If anyone raves about the movie they’re a fanboy (even in the media) & doesn’t count. Some do their best to dig out any rare negative comment and use that as the stick to beat every thread with as if it’s a consensus.

What is this fascination some have with NY critics and such like, why do people truly care what Nolan naysayers say?! Why try to dig out what someone thought of Oppenheimer when they disliked Inception, Interstellar and so on…?! Clearly you all must like those films being on a NOLAN FANS FORUM.

No opinion is as important to you as your own, stop obsessing what others think, especially putting down any positive reviews to be weird and find negative ones.

Ace
Last edited by Ace on July 14th, 2023, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intonestellar wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 2:10 pm
Rarely post but reading this thread and almost every pre release thread you’d never know this was a forum for Nolan fans.

If anyone raves about the movie they’re a fanboy (even in the media) & doesn’t count. Some do their best to dig out any rare negative comment and use that as the stick to beat every thread with as if it’s a consensus.

What is this fascination some have with NY critics and such like, why do people truly care what Nolan naysayers say?! Why try to dig out what someone thought of Oppenheimer when they disliked Inception, Interstellar and so on…?! Clearly you all must like those films being on a NOLAN FANS FORUM.

No opinion is as important to you as your own, stop obsessing what others think, especially putting down any positive reviews to be weird and find negative ones.
While I mostly agree, I also have to say this is a thread for reactions so it kind of makes sense some people try to bring up whatever reviews and whatnot they would like to discuss (or whatever their intention), even when it’s coming from trolls on this forum. I may have said at some point that we shouldn’t care about reactions too much but recognize it’s also a thread for that. If they want to look only for negative reviews and what not based on this possible perception of "objectivity” or "unbiased opinion", then they can go ahead. Still read them but also think each to their own if I disagree with them. I feel Nolan and any other director will still get some detractors probably because it’s just what happens; however, there might still be some stuff to learn from the positive or negative, if you ask me.

Sean Baker and Villeneuve raving about Tenet makes me smile, for example. That’s enough for me.

I will wait to determine what I think about Oppenheimer when I watch it regardless of what negative and positive reviews I read. Just my two cents.

Ace wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 3:34 pm
Seems like we’re positioned for atleast 10-11 metacritic publications right off the bat giving this a perfect score

What I am most impressed by, based on these early reactions, is how Nolan seems to reinvent every genre he tackles. Even the more mixed reviews--which are only a handful so far--acknowledge that the movie is far from a typical biopic. The pacing, editing, and tension seems to be mesmerizing, perhaps even unnerving at times.

I also think that it shouldn't come as a surprise that such a radical approach--bending and sometimes even breaking a genre--will throw some people off. To me, that's a good sign! I think DUNKIRK is an exceptional movie, but one way that it disappointed many of us superfans is that it didn't seem *that* radical. To be sure, seeing it in 70mm IMAX was an experience like no other, but every time I've watched it on a normal screen after, I couldn't help but think "This is a very good movie, but it's not a very Nolan movie."

That's not the case with any of his other films. THE DARK KNIGHT changed superhero and action movies forever. THE PRESTIGE is a mind-bending thriller that was one of the most innovative approaches to storytelling in a long time. INTERSTELLAR defied contemporary sci-fi tropes and gave us timeless space opera. INCEPTION and TENET had scenes that we couldn't even imagine in our dreams. And of course, I don't have to convince you of how groundbreaking MEMENTO was. Point is: none of these films were flawless or universally admired. All of these films had significant flaws, some more than others. DUNKIRK is probably the most flawless of all, but it's also because it (at least in my view, feel free to disagree) doesn't push the envelope nearly as much as any of his other movies.

All of this is to say that when OPPENHEIMER was first announced, I was questioning how Nolan could reinvent the biopic genre. But it seems that he has--and that makes me unbelievably excited, even if (or maybe even especially) some people don't like it!

Uruguayan wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 11:13 am
The Special One wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 2:31 am
Uruguayan wrote:
July 13th, 2023, 3:03 pm
Saw the film in the morning here in Montevideo.

A masterwork, guys.
Suertudo
Más culo que alma, como diría mi abuelo
:twothumbsup:

The Special One wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 2:07 am
Uruguayan wrote:
The Special One wrote:
July 14th, 2023, 2:31 am

Suertudo
que es todo este spanish posting y porque nadie me invito ?!

Nicolaslabra wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 2:26 am
The Special One wrote:
July 15th, 2023, 2:07 am
Uruguayan wrote:

que es todo este spanish posting y porque nadie me invito ?!
No sabía, Nico...

Perdón, ¿ahora debemos hablar en español? :ugeek: