Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Are we saying there's a chance that when we push that... oops

Are we saying there's a chance that Oppenheimer might be Nolan's first film to generate more than one Oscar nominations in acting category?
Last edited by DUNKIRKIE on July 12th, 2023, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:20 pm

Are we saying there's a chance that Oppenheimer might be Nolan's first film to generate more one Oscar nominations in acting category?
RDJ is likely a lock

Cillian has a good chance

Blunt might get it too

I think Cillian and Emily get the noms though if this film is not a tremendous flop like Babylon was

MaxContract wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:25 pm

RDJ is likely a lock

Blunt might get it too

I think Cillian and Emily get the noms though if this film is not a tremendous flop like Babylon was
Is it possible that some of those critics are going more haywire over Downey Jr and his performance because it’s been a while since he appeared in a part like this?

We won’t know until we’ve seen it
And we won’t see it until they’ve released it

MaxContract wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:25 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:20 pm

Are we saying there's a chance that Oppenheimer might be Nolan's first film to generate more one Oscar nominations in acting category?
RDJ is likely a lock

Blunt might get it too

love the optimism but way, way, way too early to start saying anything, regardless of how good or well-reviewed, is a lock

-Vader

Seriously. We fall through this trap every time. Who knows what A24 is cooking right now for the awards season.

Tarssauce wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 1:57 pm
Seriously. We fall through this trap every time. Who knows what A24 is cooking right now for the awards season.
Usually it’s a wrap for A24 if they ain’t got a serious contender by now

Past Lives is looking like their contender and it’s not got an ounce of the hype EEAAO had

MaxContract wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 2:01 pm

Past Lives is looking like their contender and it’s not got an ounce of the hype EEAAO had
To be honest, I was half joking about A24. And I never really follow much of the campaigns or what is being played in festivals. But I do know that it’s way too early for anything to be a lock.

Lots of Awards bait movies come out at the end of the year. And look at how we were almost so sure Nolan would win for Dunkirk when it came out only for Del Toro to sweep the awards with The Shape of Water. So for me it’s a toss between I don’t care and hope for the best, expect the worst.

Tarssauce wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 2:11 pm
MaxContract wrote:

To be honest, I was half joking about A24. And I never really follow much of the campaigns or what is being played in festivals. But I do know that it’s way too early for anything to be a lock.

Lots of Awards bait movies come out at the end of the year. And look at how we were almost so sure Nolan would win for Dunkirk when it came out only for Del Toro to sweep the awards with The Shape of Water. So for me it’s a toss between I don’t care and hope for the best, expect the worst.
It was safe to say we all knew Dunkirk would be nominated for a bunch of awards but winning is a whole different matter that is contingent on a bunch of things we can’t predict.

But I think it’s safe to say that barring a full blown flop on the level of Babylon, we can expect a lot of nominations for Oppenheimer

MaxContract wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 2:22 pm
Tarssauce wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 2:11 pm
MaxContract wrote:

It was safe to say we all knew Dunkirk would be nominated for a bunch of awards but winning is a whole different matter that is contingent on a bunch of things we can’t predict.

But I think it’s safe to say that barring a full blown flop on the level of Babylon, we can expect a lot of nominations for Oppenheimer
This year is likely to be stacked in most categories, so it will be tough.

Killers of the Flower Moon, Past Lives, Spider-Verse, The Zone of Interest, Air are all high potential noms and it’s only July.

We still have Barbie (Gerwig), Dune Part Two (Villeneuve), Napoleon (Scott), Maestro (Cooper), Poor Things (Lanthimos), The Killer (Fincher), Saltburn (Fennell), Ferrari (Mann), The Holdovers (Payne), Next Goal Wins (Waititi)

They won’t all hit but that’s a lot of great filmmakers with awards history