Oppenheimer - IMAX locations and info thread

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
SINCEPTION wrote:
August 22nd, 2023, 4:49 pm
Yeah exactly, WB needs to be willing pay for the IMAX70mm release...personally I wish dune was shot with IMAX 70mm cameras, rather than the Arri IMAX with anamorphic lenses. Those lenses give them the option to have 1.43 AR, but when you watch the movie in giant/real IMAX theater, the quality/resolution doesn't come close to IMAX 15/70. Then I understand their struggle using those cameras in deserts for long period of time.

However, IMAX needs to support more theaters to keep their projectors. Just look how many theaters showed TDKR prologue in 15/70:

https://www.flixist.com/list-of-theater ... -prologue/
Ah, I see. So WB would need to pay for it. Yeah the Arri IMAX may not be as great as 70mm, but man it would still be a great experience.

I believe Denis did cameras tests with 70mm IMAX, but felt it looked too historical and since it was sci-fi/future he didn't want Dune to have a "historical" look. He tried digital, but it was too sterile. So that's why he ended up shooting digital, scanning it onto film, then back on the digital. At least he did that with Part One, not sure if he did with Part Two.

:roll:

Oku
perfect opportunity for that friendship ended meme

nisarshaikh wrote:
August 22nd, 2023, 8:48 pm
SINCEPTION wrote:
August 22nd, 2023, 4:49 pm
Yeah exactly, WB needs to be willing pay for the IMAX70mm release...personally I wish dune was shot with IMAX 70mm cameras, rather than the Arri IMAX with anamorphic lenses. Those lenses give them the option to have 1.43 AR, but when you watch the movie in giant/real IMAX theater, the quality/resolution doesn't come close to IMAX 15/70. Then I understand their struggle using those cameras in deserts for long period of time.

However, IMAX needs to support more theaters to keep their projectors. Just look how many theaters showed TDKR prologue in 15/70:

https://www.flixist.com/list-of-theater ... -prologue/
Ah, I see. So WB would need to pay for it. Yeah the Arri IMAX may not be as great as 70mm, but man it would still be a great experience.

I believe Denis did cameras tests with 70mm IMAX, but felt it looked too historical and since it was sci-fi/future he didn't want Dune to have a "historical" look. He tried digital, but it was too sterile. So that's why he ended up shooting digital, scanning it onto film, then back on the digital. At least he did that with Part One, not sure if he did with Part Two.
Yeah I remember Denis mentioning about testing it on Deakins podcast. But honestly I think it’s the logistics of it, as a filmmaker you gotta pick your battles and compromise…the trailer of it in IMAX format looked gorgeous though, don’t get me wrong…I’m sad it got delayed.

Also it seems like some theaters extending their run for Oppenheimer till end of labor day weekend, such as CityWalk…I thought they would at least split it with Equalizer 3.

3rd viewing the other day, was my first in 70mm Imax. Totally worth the long drive, and theater was pretty packed. Got me more emotional than expected for a third viewing. I think Nolan talking about using Imax for more intimate and emotional parts REALLY worked.
Proves it can enhance more than just action scenes.

In Germany IMAX also added a few more shows for september...thinking about watching it a 7th time in IMAX again :oops:

It's not really IMAX but we don't have a separate thread for this, for the Germans here, I just saw that Schauburg in Karlsruhe added a special event for either Sunday 10th of September or 17th of September (the dates on their site vary). They will show all three movies, Dunkirk, Tenet and Oppenheimer in one sitting starting at 1:30 pm until night in 5/70 mm OV. Thinking about getting tickets for the event ;)

lunar_rover wrote:
September 2nd, 2023, 5:02 pm
In Germany IMAX also added a few more shows for september...thinking about watching it a 7th time in IMAX again :oops:

It's not really IMAX but we don't have a separate thread for this, for the Germans here, I just saw that Schauburg in Karlsruhe added a special event for either Sunday 10th of September or 17th of September (the dates on their site vary). They will show all three movies, Dunkirk, Tenet and Oppenheimer in one sitting starting at 1:30 pm until night in 5/70 mm OV. Thinking about getting tickets for the event ;)
lucky boy

TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood is having a film strip giveaway at their 10a Monday (US holiday) showing

Finally I was able to watch it at Ontario California too, and I loved that theater and their seating setup…which this means, I was able to see it at all 4 IMAX theaters in LA area showing it in 15/70🤓