Oppenheimer - IMAX locations and info thread

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Our very own Dylan Hoang

Forum Pro
El Especial wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 9:18 am
Our very own Dylan Hoang
haha it's me! Tickets went on sale for the third week of August earlier this week and the best seats for all those showtimes have been snagged already too. All of the prime viewing spots have been taken for an entire month. Granted I live in Los Angeles and this is THE IMAX theatre to go to, but it's undeniable that these pre-sales are the best in Nolan's career (TDK trilogy not included).

El Especial wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 9:18 am
Our very own Dylan Hoang
And still only 30 cinemas in a world...

Just remember not to be late as there’s no previews!

alright guys, so i’ve got tickets for this on the 27th in nyc in 15/70, but i’m going back to PA for my birthday and my family wants to see it before then. king of prussia is out of the question as the 15/70 imax is booked out

do we do LIEmax 2k xenon, or a nice 35mm showing in center city philly? my family is big on the imax brand and i do think 2k xenon still looks great (in some ways better than 35 and without a 2.40 crop), but my heart says we should get dinner in philly after a prestigious 35mm projection. thoughts? it’ll be my first viewing which is why i’m coming here for suggestions lol

people who have seen, how would this play in scope? my thought is more drama than loud nolan movie which might be okay with my 80 year old grandma LMAO

On the pros of Digital IMAX. I ran through an unexpected detour and ended up being 8 minutes late to my screening. I played Supermarine while speeding through cars and ran as fast as I could to theater and luckily I made early enough to see a trailer or two before the film started. Would’ve been pissed if I missed any of it.

So GO EARLY!

Funnily enough I was going to pose this question elsewhere.

I can see absolutely no reason to see this movie in a non 15/70 theatre unless it’s Laser with a 1:1.43 screen.

Is it really exciting to see 2.2:1 open up to 1.9:1?

Many multiplexes do a decent job of 4K. Pick one you’ve been to before where you had no concerns about the auditorium. Or find somewhere doing 5 perf 70mm. I know there is a perceived wisdom that 35mm beats competent 4K, but I don’t believe it.

I’m making a 50 mile journey to see it in 5 perf 70mm in Glasgow tomorrow, to a brilliant arthouse, as opposed to the 10 minute walk to see it in 4K at an excellent multiplex. But I would never make plans for LieMAX.

Tarssauce wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 2:37 pm
On the pros of Digital IMAX. I ran through an unexpected detour and ended up being 8 minutes late to my screening. I played Supermarine while speeding through cars and ran as fast as I could to theater and luckily I made early enough to see a trailer or two before the film started. Would’ve been pissed if I missed any of it.

So GO EARLY!
Thanks for sharing this🙏🏼✌🏼

Here is a list of top 20 largest flat screen IMAX theaters that show feature films.

https://imgur.com/gallery/KlOM98V

Damn. I’ve counted six theaters that are experiencing serious issues with their IMAX 70mm showings.

This is gonna be rough.

Nicewatch wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 10:38 pm
Damn. I’ve counted six theaters that are experiencing serious issues with their IMAX 70mm showings.

This is gonna be rough.
What kind of issues are they reporting? And which theaters?