Oppenheimer - IMAX locations and info thread

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
does anyone know any particularly good screens in DC? i have a great 70mm imax here in NYC but sadly will be in DC from the 20th-23rd

for some reason, a lot of the 65 stuff in Dunkirk was pretty grainy on 15/70 - moreso than some 35 stuff on Interstellar. especially weird because 65 should have more resolution and hoyte beat the shit out of the negatives in Interstellar - that 35 stuff is filthy

i’m hopeful that they’ve treated this cleanly in all the transfers and the resolution jumps aren’t too wild. definitely a place that DL holds the advantage in my eyes

Vader182 wrote:
July 11th, 2023, 4:03 pm
Schoggi wrote:
July 11th, 2023, 3:50 pm
Hi everyone! :)

I am really looking forward to Oppenheimer. But it is a shame that we only have 70mm in the UK and the Czech Republic here in Europe. I don't live near either of those and won't be able to make it there. Maybe in mid or end of August, if at all.

Now a question for those experts here:

What aspect ratio does 70mm IMAX have? Is it 1.43:1? (Or only something like regular screens have, like 1.85:1?)

Since of course I want to see Oppenheimer as early as possible, the alternative is to see it at the digital IMAX at "Technik Museum" Sinsheim, Germany. At least they have a very high screen there (unlike most "liemaxes), and they are able to show 1.43:1 there. I remember it from Dunkirk, where the IMAX scenes filled the whole screen from top to bottom.

Do you think it will be the same for Oppenheimer and I should aim to see it there?
(Sorry, I don't know if Dunkirk IMAX scenes where shot in 70mm as well)
70mm IMAX is indeed 1.43:1, the same aspect ratio as "dual laser" IMAX. This is sacrilege, but dual laser actually has some benefits above 15/70---it's more consistent than the prints and tends to have a bit more clarity but at the expense of some punch and dimension. So if your local IMAX (you can check online or call) is dual laser, don't feel too badly that you're missing out.

This is how I would rank the formats by order of priority personally:

15/70 IMAX
Dual Laser IMAX
Xenon IMAX / conventional 70mm (Depends if you care more about shifting aspect ratios or a higher quality image)
Dolby
other PLF screens
Conventional screens

Hope that helps.

-Vader
Thanks!
They write on their website, they have two 4k laser projectors. So I assume it is "dual laser" that they use. ;)
So I think I will go there! :)
Have good memories of seeing Dunkirk there, especially the sound was insane. I wasn' too bothered by the changing aspect ratios.
But Oppenheimer should have the same aspect ratio throughout the whole film, shouldn't it?

Schoggi wrote:

I am really looking forward to Oppenheimer. But it is a shame that we only have 70mm in the UK and the Czech Republic here in Europe. I don't live near either of those and won't be able to make it there. Maybe in mid or end of August, if at all.

What aspect ratio does 70mm IMAX have? Is it 1.43:1? (Or only something like regular screens have, like 1.85:1?)

Since of course I want to see Oppenheimer as early as possible, the alternative is to see it at the digital IMAX at "Technik Museum" Sinsheim, Germany. At least they have a very high screen there (unlike most "liemaxes), and they are able to show 1.43:1 there. I remember it from Dunkirk, where the IMAX scenes filled the whole screen from top to bottom.

Do you think it will be the same for Oppenheimer and I should aim to see it there?
Also a German here. Go to Sinsheim or to Karlsruhe (ZKM). They both have the same dual 4K laser projector.
Sinsheim is bigger, but in Karlsruhe you are way closer to the screen. I actually liked that better AND the seats are WAY more comfortable and that's important for a 3hr movie ;)

You will also have the aspect ration changes because most of the dialogue scenes were shot in 70mm instead of IMAX - just like with DUNKIRK.

Mr. Alley wrote:
July 12th, 2023, 2:00 pm
Schoggi wrote:

Also a German here. Go to Sinsheim or to Karlsruhe (ZKM). They both have the same dual 4K laser projector.
Sinsheim is bigger, but in Karlsruhe you are way closer to the screen. I actually liked that better AND the seats are WAY more comfortable and that's important for a 3hr movie ;)

You will also have the aspect ration changes because most of the dialogue scenes were shot in 70mm instead of IMAX - just like with DUNKIRK.
Hi there! ;)
Oh that's interesting. Dunkirk was short enough that I wasn't bothered by the uncomfortable seats, I guess. Or I forgot in those 6 years.

Is it really a good thing to be closer to the screen in Karlsruhe? I remember in Sinsheim I even was sitting in the 3rd last row and thought: I am glad that I don't sit any closer to the screen. It is too big :lol: , I can't see everything and have to move my eyes too much and too often. Next time better sit in the last or second last row.
In the end both will be fine I guess.

Tickets are finally available for me. Got one for Dolby on July 24! Waiting for IMAX tickets to go live to book two for July 20!

Currently debating canceling the one on the 24th and book one at 2:30am on July 19 (technically 20). But I’ll be driving almost a 100KM to and from and I’ll have to drive again to another country the very next day for IMAX! I wanna see it as soon as I can but the IMAX tickets not being out yet and the earliest tickets running out fast are giving me so much anxiety.

Wish I had an IMAX or a premium screen in my city.

IMAX tickets booked for next Saturday in our capital, unfortunately the only IMAX theater in our country, but totally worth the 5 hour drive :D Cannot wait!

Finally got my tickets for IMAX. Thursday and Friday. But I will seen it first on Tuesday. And probably a 35mm next week.