Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
August 11th, 2023, 3:11 pm
I dream a billion.
Lets bet on South Korea and Chinas anger on japanese war crimes & colonialism. And maybe your dream comes true. As for now the previews look very promising in South Korea.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/box-office ... 235460243/
Oppenheimer became the highest grossing film at Hollywood’s TCL Chinese Theatre in the venue’s 97-year history hiting $1.53M on Wednesday. That beats the previous record at the venue set by 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens which earned $1.51M after 15 weeks of release. Oppenheimer has been extended at the TCL Chinese Theatre in IMAX 70mm film through the end of August.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
I dream a billion.
I did the math. In order to do this, it'll have to average a 29.6% weekly drop worldwide over the course of its 100-day theatrical run.

This is possible, but highly unlikely. Once it starts losing theaters (and IMAX screens, no less), then the hope dwindles.

The saving graces will be more international releases (we are still awaiting China, Italy, and South Korea) and theatrical re-releases, especially in IMAX and for its Oscar push. The first run through will prove difficult unless Universal extends its theatrical window past the 100-day mark.

If only they said right now "This bitch ain't streamin' till December," then it would probably get more people to flock over. I would at least ask that they wait till the week before Thanksgiving and that timing would benefit them, but sometimes I think they don't understand this as much as we do even if we have selfish motives.

EDIT: By the way, not a good direct comparison, but Barbie's run in China, Italy, and South Korea so far have totaled 5.9% of its worldwide box office. That's rather significant, but I don't know if that will bring Oppenheimer all the way there.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
I dream a billion.
Me too. Film deserves it and this would be a crowning achievement for Nolan.
Chances are near zero.

It won't happen, but the fact we're even talking about it as a non-insane possibility speaks to the borderline unprecedented (this century, anyway) run Oppenheimer's been having regardless.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 12th, 2023, 5:28 am
It won't happen, but the fact we're even talking about it as a non-insane possibility speaks to the borderline unprecedented (this century, anyway) run Oppenheimer's been having regardless.

-Vader
Not going to say anything about what will happen, just will see the end of its run. But I do agree it’s been unprecedented what Oppenheimer has achieved imo.

If Oppy is a breakout in South Korea and China, and the film gets re-released during awards season, it might hit a billion. Which is utterly insane.

Pre-sales in SK looking very promising and word on the street is that Nolan himself will be in China soon to support his film.

poplar wrote:
August 12th, 2023, 4:22 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
I dream a billion.
Me too. Film deserves it and this would be a crowning achievement for Nolan.
Chances are near zero.
Near?