Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
August 1st, 2023, 2:34 pm
LelekPL wrote:
August 1st, 2023, 1:09 pm
I like Dan Murrel, he's very passionate but ultimately he's just a youtuber. I wouldn't take his word as gospel as he's not much more than a glorified hobbyist and I definitely would always trust a Variety, THR or Deadline reporter over him. And even he says he gets his calculations from what he heard online, not what he confirmed at the source because he doesn't have such connections.

His metrics are VERY conservative in terms of studio takes and both he and theater owners have said this. The theater chains take much less revenue from ticket sales than what we think and what he calculates "on the safe side", as they make most of their money on concessions sales rather than ticket sales.
Everything that I stated was before his video was even recorded. Why are you disputing the math, or why aren't you countering the basic "50% of box office" number that I am then stating?

What did Variety say? I want you to tell me exactly what they said, because I can tell you and I have stated it post after post. They said that Nolan will have to be paid (and their conservative value was $50 million) and that AT LEAST $400 million will have to be earned for box office profit. They were two years out and didn't have anything else to state at the time. Have they posted something since then? Did they claim yesterday that "Oppenheimer has made over $400 million worldwide and is now profitable"?

My point of posting the first time is because somebody basically mentioned "If this movie makes $400 million then it will be profitable," which is complete and utter bullshit. Nobody still has yet to even mention Nolan's 20% take. Can anyone tell me how much the movie would have to make to then pay Nolan back 20% and still make money off the film? If you have trouble finding it, I've already mentioned it several times.

I was using that video to support my own findings, that once again somebody else on this god forsaken forum can be more accurate about domestic vs. international and Nolan's first-dollar gross.
First of all, relax.

Second of all, I'm not going to dispute your calculations, which mathematically adds up. I'm also not going to dispute Dan's calculations. But at the end of the day, your calculations are flawed because they are based on rumored, not verified generic takes between studios and theaters. We know that almost every blockbuster has its own caveats in the deals between the two and there is no one formula to calculate the nett gross for all movies if you don't know the behind the scenes agreements. What you're doing are just estimates and they can be way off depending what the agreement between Universal and Theaters was for Oppenheimer.

That's why I don't take what you say or Dan says at face value. I also don't take the one off-hand line in a Variety article seriously because it wasn't the main story of the article so it also might be just as off. However, once the dust settles, I will trust the analysis of Variety, THR or Deadline more than that of Dan Murrel or a random guy on a Nolan Fans forum. For now, it's just an interesting debate and it's ok to speculate but you're treating it like you KNOW the deal already. You don't, so just relax.

Oppenheimer should hit $200M domestic on Thursday.

Universal’s third sesh of Oppenheimer is also strong, likely in second place, with $23M to $26M. Yesterday the Christopher Nolan movie made $6.98M, +2% from Monday’s $6.8M for a running total of $188.4M domestic. The movie is beating the $189.7M final domestic of Nolan’s Dunkirk as we write this report.
https://deadline.com/2023/08/barbie-opp ... 235453447/

https://www.boxofficepro.com/imax-deliv ... th-176-2m/
The record-breaking performance was fueled by Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer, which has already grossed more than $86M across the IMAX global network with weeks left in its initial IMAX run. Shot with IMAX film cameras, Universal Pictures’ Oppenheimer delivered the biggest IMAX July opening weekend of all time and the company’s biggest share ever of a film’s global opening weekend box office, with 20% of total receipts. Oppenheimer continues to drive results for IMAX, which took in an additional $4.1M on Monday—32% of its domestic box office for the day

Retskrad wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 6:31 am
Nolan has progressively lost box office prowess and cultural relevance over the last 10 years. This movie is going to make less money than Tenet.
Lol. :clap: :lol:

dissonance wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 2:02 pm
Retskrad wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 6:31 am
Nolan has progressively lost box office prowess and cultural relevance over the last 10 years. This movie is going to make less money than Tenet.
Lol. :clap: :lol:
hey dont kick a man while he`s down its not fun hahahahahahaha im sorry its hilarious :lol: :gonf:

Seeing some reports that this could go higher than $850 million.

Banter wrote:
August 4th, 2023, 8:57 am
Seeing some reports that this could go higher than $850 million.
I would love for that to happen. I feel the film more than deserves it. And I think it also may help more for very risky projects like Oppenheimer to be made on that scope. Because it’s surprising such a movie is doing as well and even way more than expectations box office wise. Barbenheimer helped for sure but the film itself is also making history the way I see it.