Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
sanford wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:59 pm
natalie wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 4:36 pm
I don't trust much in this tracking numbers but...

I genuinely can’t see a world where Oppenheimer opens with a cent above $55 million, which is already pushing it for an R-rated three hour adult drama, regardless of the names attached to it. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love it, but there’s just no way.

$158 million seems awfully high for Barbie as well. Somewhere around $130 million would be staggering. But, there’s been an insane amount of hype and build up to this weekend, and I’m looking forward to how it finally plays out.
Well I sure eat my words. My god.

Retskrad wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 6:31 am
Nolan has progressively lost box office prowess and cultural relevance over the last 10 years. This movie is going to make less money than Tenet.
say what?

natalie wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 11:52 pm
unreal numbers

MaxContract wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 11:10 am
I’m surprised the potential is only $380m at most WW for $170m opening especially since there’s no other big movie coming for the summer
Are you referring to the Tweet earlier in the thread about multipliers on Nolan's earlier movies? That is not referring to Worldwide Total, it's only talking about the Domestic market. So potentially $380 million domestic if this movie follows Inception's 4.66 multiplier from the $82M opening weekend.

That said, it seems unlikely to have Inception's legs. It needs a 2.44 multiplier to reach $200 million domestic. That seems very likely to happen, which is awesome. Everything beyond $200 million is very sweet icing on the cake for Universal & Nolan. A 2.7 multiplier would deliver a $220 million domestic total, which seems like a pretty decent chance of happening. It needs a 3.05 multiplier to reach a $250 million domestic total, which is getting into more difficult territory. Dunkirk's 3.7 multiplier would give the movie a $300+ million domestic total, which is not easy to do by any means.

Yeah, I knew this could go high, but these numbers surprise me. If this has typical Nolan legs, Oppy could make $650-800M worldwide. BTW, first data for Monday are looking absolutely spectacular. This could have a very lengthy run at the box office.

Banter wrote:
July 24th, 2023, 8:52 am
Yeah, I knew this could go high, but these numbers surprise me. If this has typical Nolan legs, Oppy could make $650-800M worldwide. BTW, first data for Monday are looking absolutely spectacular. This could have a very lengthy run at the box office.
Yeah, raves are helping. Many peopel will be seeing it, just by recomendations from others.

I think word of mouth will be crucial, and judging by the reaction of the audience during my screening (too stunned to say a word), word of mouth will be more than fine. :gonf:

Will this movie establish itself as must-see masterpiece during the coming weeks? Could become a global phenomenon this way.

Forum Pro
Law
I'm interested to see how this upcoming weekend turns out. I feel like this is going to have a lot of legs.