Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Oku
poplar wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 7:48 pm
Collins wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 7:33 pm
I don't understand why the movie still doesn't have a release date in China. Nolan's films have always had good scores there...
Are you geopolitical blind?
Geopolitics? The film vilifies China's historical #1 enemy, and China's current #1 enemy. Why China would have a problem with that lol

Reportedly, the film has already been approved for release in China, it's just waiting for a date. Hopefully it gets assigned a date ASAP, for Collins's sake lol

Re: China- the nude scenes may be a problem since Nolan/Universal would likely not agree to any edits. But we’ll see. Lots of disparaging of communism generally too.

Oku
Yeah, except that India's already made hard cuts, and the film's gotten the equivalent of what I believe is a PG rating there.

And TENET cut a few seconds of Sator beating the shit out of Kat to secure a PG-13 rating in the UK.

The boost from access to China's box office is well worth the trade-off, IMO.

William Blake wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 8:04 pm
Re: China- the nude scenes may be a problem since Nolan/Universal would likely not agree to any edits. But we’ll see. Lots of disparaging of communism generally too.
in India they did edit the nude scenes, but i dont know if it was a third party effort.

Oku
Yeah, if India, a market that contributes at most a few million to the film's total gross, can make drastic cuts like that, then China, a market that can add potentially tens of million, defo can.

Cut all the nudity, tone down the communism stuff, I don't care. We will never see that version anyway, so it doesn't affect us. It will, however, pad the film's box office gross, which is good for the film.

I actually love that Universal and Nolan of course, made a proper modest version without nudity. Better than a poorly edited botched version.

That’s the version I watched in Bahrain.

Oku wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 8:10 pm
Yeah, except that India's already made hard cuts, and the film's gotten the equivalent of what I believe is a PG rating there.

And TENET cut a few seconds of Sator beating the shit out of Kat to secure a PG-13 rating in the UK.

Didn't know that how interesting

El Especial wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 8:19 pm
Oku wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 8:10 pm

Didn't know that how interesting
they cut the kick and the almost stomp right ?

Guys, I forget to update it. Universal confirmed last week that the film will be released in China, release date to be announced soon. Mostly likely a Friday at the end of August.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 10:11 pm
Guys, I forget to update it. Universal confirmed last week that the film will be released in China, release date to be announced soon. Mostly likely a Friday at the end of August.
Cool good to know!