Hoyte van Hoytema's Cinematography

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
dissonance wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 1:32 am
Innovator wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 5:23 am
I still firmly believe Dunkirk is Nolan's best looking film to date. And I have a good feeling this one will challenge it.
So what's the verdict? Do you feel Oppenheimer's cinematography has topped Dunkirk?
You know what, I've seen Oppenheimer two times and it does challenge Dunkirk's cinematography imo but I still don't have a clear answer on which I prefer. I will have to watch it a few more times.

Interesting video! Some folks trying to re-create some of the particle effects shots from the movie

hotsauce32 wrote:
August 12th, 2023, 10:59 pm
Interesting video! Some folks trying to re-create some of the particle effects shots from the movie

that was superb, i think they nailed the techniques, the only difference i feel is the scale, and the movie has more effects composited into each other.

hotsauce32 wrote:
August 12th, 2023, 10:59 pm

Terrific

So brilliant and admirable.

MaxContract wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 3:15 pm
dissonance wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 2:50 pm
Retskrad wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 12:36 pm
Regarding Nolan and Hoyt’s collaboration, in terms of cinematography, for me it goes:
1. Dunkirk
2. Interstellar
3. Oppenheimer
4. Tenet

I think it’s time for Nolan to work with another cinematographer. Scorsese, Tarantino, Villeneuve all have worked with different cinematographers and each new cinematographer has challenged them as filmmakers.
I would love to see the result of Roger Deakins or Greg Fraser with Nolan!!!
Deakins would never work with Nolan because they have a massive disagreement with film vs digital

Fraser is good but I don’t see his style working well with Nolans

I feel I’d like to see Nolan work with someone like Christopher Doyle
Interesting to know all that you're stated. What is Fraser's style and why would it not work well with Nolan?

Also what is Deakins' disagreement with film vs digital?

MaxContract wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 3:18 pm
How I’d rank Nolan films cinematography wise:

1. Dunkirk
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. The Dark Knight
4. Interstellar
5. Tenet
6. The Prestige
7. Inception
8. Oppenheimer
9. Memento
10. Insomnia
11. Batman Begins
Why is Oppenheimer that low?

As someone else pointed out somewhere on this forum (can't remember where):
Spielberg has used the same cinematographer (Janusz Kamiński) since "Schindler’s List". So why go away from Hoytema? It works for me at least.

dissonance wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 3:00 am
MaxContract wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 3:15 pm
dissonance wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 2:50 pm

I would love to see the result of Roger Deakins or Greg Fraser with Nolan!!!
Deakins would never work with Nolan because they have a massive disagreement with film vs digital

Fraser is good but I don’t see his style working well with Nolans

I feel I’d like to see Nolan work with someone like Christopher Doyle
Interesting to know all that you're stated. What is Fraser's style and why would it not work well with Nolan?

Also what is Deakins' disagreement with film vs digital?
Deakins has just kind of evolved into a digital guy. If you look at any of his interviews since SKYFALL or so, he gives plenty of reasons, but honestly, as wonderful as the guy's work usually is, I am not impressed with his digital stuff, because it does look digital (have covered several films he shot, starting with O BROTHER and MAN WHO WASN'T THERE, up through SF and BLADE RUNNER 2049.) Now Fraser can emulate film to a certain degree when he shoots digital, but I guess Deakins embraces the different aesthetic. Deakins didn't think Bond needed to be on film because he didn't really care about the history of the franchise (hadn't seen a Bond film since the mid-60s when he got hired to shoot SKYFALL.)

I think Fraser would work well with Nolan, because I think Fraser would have no problem shooting film again. That's just going by the times I have talked with him (about DUNE and MANDALORIAN, both digital shows.)

I love you Hoyte, but Greig Fraser is the best cinematographer working today. The Batman is a visual masterpiece and it's a crime that it didn't get nominated by the Academy. Even Roger Deakins, the GOAT himself, said on his podcast that he saw the film 3 times and thought it was best shot film of 2022.