Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Innovator wrote:
December 17th, 2023, 2:30 pm
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 17th, 2023, 10:26 am
All I can tell you is that I have been following a bit the steelbook releases, for example, and they have been going extremely fast in my experience. So, it wouldn’t seem too much of a stretch to me but who knows.
It seems like it is true after all

Thanks to Christopher Nolan, reports of the death of physical media are greatly exaggerated. One week after the Nov. 21 release of the “Oppenheimer” Blu-ray, Best Buy and Amazon reported that they were completely sold out of 4K UHD copies of the exacting director’s latest film.

“It’s unheard of,” says Justin LaLiberty, director of operations for Vinegar Syndrome, a film restoration and distribution company. “In the past decade, I can’t think of another title that caused that type of fervor.”
One strategy to combat the falling numbers has been the expansion of the 4K market. In fact, so far “Oppenheimer” 4K discs represent 40% of all of the film’s domestic physical disc sales — a new industry high. Following the lead of vinyl, a “dead” media that’s seeing a massive resurgence, companies like Arrow and Criterion are enticing fans with limited-edition, retailer-exclusive packaging and deluxe releases bursting with bonus materials.
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/oppe ... 235837539/

This is incredible.
Quite remarkable. The power of Nolan

Give my boy a like! He's still out there fighting the battle :gonf: :gonf: :gonf:

Demoph wrote:
January 20th, 2024, 3:34 pm

Give my boy a like! He's still out there fighting the battle :gonf: :gonf: :gonf:
I don't really get what Nate means anyway....

Waitedalongtime wrote:
January 20th, 2024, 6:22 pm
Demoph wrote:

Seems like it's a variant of the "why is this movie about Oppenheimer's security clearance instead of The Bomb" complaint that's been raised again and again.

physicshistoryguy wrote:
January 20th, 2024, 9:26 pm
Waitedalongtime wrote:
January 20th, 2024, 6:22 pm
Demoph wrote:

Seems like it's a variant of the "why is this movie about Oppenheimer's security clearance instead of The Bomb" complaint that's been raised again and again.
After some thinking I did realise that. Yeah, I'll admit that I was initially a bit mixed on whether I liked the whole Communism angle getting the amount of focus that it did, but in truth that's both vitally important for his character (in both making him sympathetic and showing some character flaws) and for the hearing itself. Hell both of his love interests had Communist Party associations.

The bomb itself, even when it's not in direct focus, is incredibly important to the movie. The hearing alone/the non-renewal of the security clearance wouldn't have happened without Oppenheimer's own experience with building a bomb that he regretted. Strauss had petty personal reasons to get back at him, but he covered it up under the professional conflict of wanting to get rid of a person who was opposed to building another bomb.

A straightforward film just purely about a man who creates the atom bomb and feels bad about it would have been fine, but by expanding the scope we get to know far more about JRO's life and character and the impact these past and future events had. The safe approach was not taken and sometimes doing that can result in a fantastic film even if not everyone takes to it.

Apparently, Oppenheimer hits screens in Japan on March 29th.

And apparently, Oppie will be re-released in China starting March 1st.