Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
True if you look at it in isolation but if you put in context of the edit and the shots that follow it, it works because it expands in those other shots. Then we see the mushroom go up and the overall explosion darkens.

I mean this is no different than a lot of SFX shots where you do little tricks and put things together to give an illusion of continuity. So if you think of it as the peak of the cloud in slow motion because the following shots are either close ups of a wall of fire or a wide shot with the cloud fully in frame behind people watching. It starts to make more sense. Because obviously they cut different explosions together.

I admit I thought the explosion was slightly underwhelming when I first saw it. And since they hyped it up so much but after seeing the film several times now, and seeing the real footage - I quite like what they've done. Again, it's not 100% accurate. Maybe they could've got there with CGI but what we got isn't bad at all.

I just can't fool myself into thinking it's something it's not. Wish I could, ha. Here's a very quick liquify of the rough shape it should've been. If Nolan had allowed DNEG to enhance just this one shot, it would've helped tremendously in my eyes.

Tarssauce wrote:
August 24th, 2023, 3:56 am
Read what I wrote again. You're comparing a fully formed mushroom cloud to a shot depicting the earliest moments in the explosion. After the initial blast you’ll see a thin pointy pillar similar to the film version and the shot in question focuses mostly on the upmost part of the explosion.

Was the pointiness exaggerated? Yes. Is it 100% accurate to the real thing? Of course not but it is close enough.

Real at 24 frames per second:

Film:
Good stuff

MMatt wrote:
August 24th, 2023, 5:35 am
You have those two shots correct, I have no problem with that one. The thin/pointy shot is not the part you circled, it's the whole mushroom cloud. You can tell because at the bottom it's getting darker as it gets sucked up, not brighter as part of a larger cloud below.

heh penis

666kalpa wrote:
September 4th, 2023, 8:40 pm
The screenplay is available for download

https://8flix.com/scripts/film/oppenhei ... creenplay/
Nice of it to be made available online right after I finished reading the copy I bought. :lol:
Reading the screenplay, I'm once again reminded how impressive it is just how effectively Nolan managed to compress Oppenheimer's life into a ~200 page script, although the large number of exposition dumps between characters combined with the use of the hearings as framing devices definitely helped in that. Plus I was finally able to understand a few lines I hadn't before (like Oppenheimer talking to Pash about "intermediate people," which I thought was him stumbling over the word "intermediary"). And it's also curious to note that the minor errors in timeline were in the original script (Garrison saying the 1943 conversation with Pash was twelve years before the 1954 hearings, Oppenheimer saying the 1949 radioisotopes hearing was six years before the hearings, things like that). It was interesting seeing differences between the screenplay and the final film, like what lines of dialogue were cut in editing. I'm fine with seeing most of them go, I think, but there were a few in particular that I'd have liked to see in the film, like Einstein's historically accurate remark that Oppenheimer loved a woman that didn't love him: the United States government (Strauss and Kitty both connect the hearings to Oppenheimer's supposed guilt, so Einstein's comment would have been an interesting way to connect the hearings to his womanizing). Then David Hill's testimony is lengthened, and specifically helps to answer a question others have asked online, namely how he knew about Strauss' orchestration of the hearings in the context of the film's portrayal of Strauss as the 'twist villain': "I think when all of the evidence is viewed, it becomes highly plausible that the Oppenheimer matter was initiated and carried out largely through the animus of Lewis Strauss" (emphasis mine). And Strauss' excellent monologue where he rants against Oppenheimer is also lengthened, although his meaning is still fairly clear in the film regardless.

Thank you so much for posting it.

It is very obvious that Oppenheimer will be one of the oscar contenders this year for the big awards.
It looks like it will be a race between 3. We knew Scorsese was coming but the other contender will be Poor Things which won the Golden Lion at Venice film festival with exceptional reviews(https://deadline.com/2023/09/venice-fil ... 235541624/).

Many of best picture winners or best director came from Venice the past 8 years(Shape of Water, Roma, Nomadland) and The Power of the Dog(which had won Best Director),

Let's see how that race goes this year!