Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

In the movie, ‘can you hear the music’ montage happens then cuts back to the court room with Strauss—unlike the screenplay above.

I'm just beginning to see people complain about Lise Meitner (who seems to be the Mother of the Atomic Bomb) not being mentioned in the film. I don't even know what to think about this.

User of Interest wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 12:46 pm
I'm just beginning to see people complain about Lise Meitner (who seems to be the Mother of the Atomic Bomb) not being mentioned in the film. I don't even know what to think about this.
There's complaints about missing out on Mark Oliphant and John von Neumann

Americans had shelved the A-bomb until an Australian broke ranks
https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/a ... 5dres.html

666kalpa wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 1:00 pm
User of Interest wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 12:46 pm
There's complaints about missing out on Mark Oliphant and John von Neumann

Americans had shelved the A-bomb until an Australian broke ranks
https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/a ... 5dres.html
This is the first I see of this. Oh, well...

and Chien-Shiung Wu

it was speculated ...

Well admittedly there were a lot of famous scientists excluded from the film, but since this is a three hour film explicitly about Oppenheimer and not a multi-season series about everyone, this doesn't bother me so much. Meitner's exclusion makes sense because she was in Sweden during all these events; she and Otto Frisch identified that the experiments of Hahn and Strassmann were splitting the nucleus, but she had no role in the bomb program after that (although perhaps Nolan could have namedropped her when Alvarez is discussing the article in the San Francisco Chronicle, but interestingly Alvarez' account of that incident only mentions Bohr by name, as he was the one who announced the discovery of fission in America). As for Oliphant, he had a very important role in spurring the American program, especially Lawrence, into action, but excluding him is also justified since Oppenheimer was brought onto the bomb program by Lawrence specifically. However, I have to note that Lawrence, Oppenheimer, and Oliphant met to discuss the bomb program in September 1941, and Oliphant judged that this must have been the first time Oppenheimer had heard of the program, but American Prometheus has Oppenheimer collaborating with Lawrence on uranium enrichment techniques in the months before so I'm not too sure. Perhaps the exclusion of Oliphant perpetuates the myth that the Einstein-Szilard letter is what started the Manhattan Project, but it is what it is. And then von Neumann is someone who certainly would have been present in some of the Los Alamos scenes, but given the fact that Nolan basically cuts out most of the work done on implosion - which is where von Neumann made his impact - his exclusion makes sense. With regards to Wu, although she should have been present at the Berkeley scenes completing her PhD under Lawrence and Oppenheimer, her role on the Manhattan Project was at Columbia University concerning uranium enrichment, and not anywhere the film visits.

What I'm trying to say is that you can only do so much in a mere three hour film, so none of the above bothers me too much personally. And if the film inspires people to do their research on this period and find out about all the scientists Nolan failed to include, then I'd consider that a success.

physicshistoryguy wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 2:01 pm

What I'm trying to say is that you can only do so much in a mere three hour film, so none of the above bothers me too much personally. And if the film inspires people to do their research on this period and find out about all the scientists Nolan failed to include, then I'd consider that a success.
"Failed" is not the word I would use. They are not included in the film? Sure. But agree on what you are saying.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 2:08 pm
physicshistoryguy wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 2:01 pm

"Failed" is not the word I would use. They are not included in the film? Sure. But agree on what you are saying.
Sure, I guess "failed" makes it sound like Nolan set out to include everyone possible but didn't.

The film is about Oppenheimer. This is not a film to discuss or mention everyone involved in the project. Those people get their due in books, documentaries, articles, etc. People just nitpicking like they usually do.