Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Cilogy wrote:
August 2nd, 2023, 3:01 am
Has anyone seen this in 70mm film (non-IMAX)?

Is it worth it if I can't get to a real IMAX screening?
Yes, black and white scenes were much better. The black and white flashbacks looked somewhat blue in 70mm.

Watched it in 70 mm Scope and 70 IMAX. I liked both and I didn't really see much difference to be honest. The flicker and quality were about the same to me. Also the faded colors looked pretty similar. I'd say for the overal effect if you ignore the expanded ratio the regular 70 mm looked surprisingly good.

Just was checking IMDB, and spotted Oppenheimer has landed somewhere in the top 30 films of all time and looks to settle somewhere in the top 50 long term.

So now Nolan has now the highest amount of films in the top 250 films with 8 and pips Martin Scorsese who has 7 and Stanley Kubrick who also has 7.

With Killers of the Flower Moon releasing and potentially being really great then both directors could have 8 films on the list.

What is really outstanding is that Nolan has 12 films and 8 are on the list. His batting average is epic with the audience reception of his films.

Whilst Martin Scorsese has directed 25 films and Killers of the Flower Moon will be his 26th.

Stanley Kubrick has 7/13 of his films on the list and is the closest in terms of the average of movies made to how many are on the IMDB 250 films list with more than 4 on the list with Sergio Leone having 4/7.

zlazer wrote:
August 2nd, 2023, 1:36 pm
Just was checking IMDB, and spotted Oppenheimer has landed somewhere in the top 30 films of all time and looks to settle somewhere in the top 50 long term.

So now Nolan has now the highest amount of films in the top 250 films with 8 and pips Martin Scorsese who has 7 and Stanley Kubrick who also has 7.

With Killers of the Flower Moon releasing and potentially being really great then both directors could have 8 films on the list.

What is really outstanding is that Nolan has 12 films and 8 are on the list. His batting average is epic with the audience reception of his films.

Whilst Martin Scorsese has directed 25 films and Killers of the Flower Moon will be his 26th.

Stanley Kubrick has 7/13 of his films on the list and is the closest in terms of the average of movies made to how many are on the IMDB 250 films list with more than 4 on the list with Sergio Leone having 4/7.
Good info :twothumbsup:

Cilogy wrote:
August 2nd, 2023, 3:01 am
Is it worth it if I can't get to a real IMAX screening?
Most definitely

Saw this in 70mm in 3D
A/C went out so the Trinity Test was... immersive, to say the least.

The projection was great. Resolution was perfect, but I gotta say I actually enjoyed the LieMAX experience more overall. Nolan's Nolany sound design and the bigger screen were both integral to the experience. Nolan seems to be one of the few working directors who actually wants to use every imagineable tool of the theater at his disposal.

The irony of Oppenheimer is the fact that's it's mostly a talky biopic but every part of the IMAX experience amplifies it into something so much more than simply the as of it's parts.

Cilogy wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 1:03 am
Saw this in 70mm in 3D

The projection was great. Resolution was perfect, but I gotta say I actually enjoyed the LieMAX experience more overall. Nolan's Nolany sound design and the bigger screen were both integral to the experience. Nolan seems to be one of the few working directors who actually wants to use every imagineable tool of the theater at his disposal.

The irony of Oppenheimer is the fact that's it's mostly a talky biopic but every part of the IMAX experience amplifies it into something so much more than simply the as of it's parts.
Interesting

Cilogy wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 1:03 am
Saw this in 70mm in 3D

i also just got out of a regular 70 viewing. surprised how much better the 5-perf looks in standard 70. it looks more like 35 in 15/70 and i suppose it’s partly screen size but also a lot of generation loss

every format has its pros and cons on this one. i like grain, so i’m fine trading a little bit of resolution for the 15/70 sequences and IMAX seat position and sound design

Not surprised to hear some are preferring 15/70mm to 70mm, because a lot of the visuals take on a more vertical dynamic than most of Nolan's other 1.43 experiments. Even seeing it in 1.90 liemax single laser this week, I hugely missed that verticality, especially the atomic sequences and, of course, the bomb, but also how he frames Cillian.

I'll miss watching it in 1.43 on UHD more than any other Nolan besides maybe Dunkirk.

-Vader