Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
physicshistoryguy wrote:
July 6th, 2023, 1:15 pm
DHOPW42 wrote:
July 6th, 2023, 11:02 am
Ace wrote:
July 6th, 2023, 8:44 am
The Irish rating site has more details.
Now that is pretty revealing! I wonder if this actually confirms one of the oldest questions regarding the plot...
Namely: the Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki bombings. Maybe we will only see them depicted in Oppenheimer's imagination, but still.
I'm not sure it reveals any more than we already knew, judging by the wording.
We already know there's a scene of the Trinity test, and there's an imaginative scene in the trailers where Princeton is engulfed by flame; to my mind, that satisfies the criteria for nuclear scenes that are both "moderate" and "[depict] their impact." Of course I'm pretty sure the Hiroshima bombing will be in the film in some form because of Little Boy being shown in the TV spots, but that's separate.

Also, the Irish Film Classification Office's discussion of The Prestige just lists "Some moderate/strong disturbing images" with no mention of the suicide scene. Perhaps the discussion of Tatlock's suicide in this film will be prominent enough to warrant its inclusion in the rating comments, even if the event itself is ultimately off-screen?
yeah I would agree with you, nothing we didn’t already know was revealed here

Ace

Press screenings are being held right now at AMC Citywalk!

neb4ever wrote:
July 6th, 2023, 10:20 pm
How do you know this?

neb4ever wrote:
And NY...

Presumably that means we'll hear some vague thoughts via Twitter about the film soon? Or would those too be prohibited until the review embargo is lifted?

natalie wrote:
July 6th, 2023, 11:10 pm
neb4ever wrote:
And NY...
I'd keep your eyes peeled for reactions early next week. Very, very selective press are being permitted to see it this early. They're very guarded about letting most people see it.

-Vader