Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/16 ... 7197845510
THIS! And the R-rating, this is absolutely exciting!! We're so close now!!
Btw, the glimpse of Ludwig's score at the begininning of the IMAX featurette is absolutely beautiful, very intimate, this will probably be his most wonderful score to date. So glad it's him!

The rating does indeed surprise me (you'd expect Dunkirk to be R and Oppenheimer to be PG-13) but I think what's important to note is that whilst a PG-13 rating would make sense, it's the kind of story that's pretty damn mature and adult and dark and weighty. So I do think an R rating isn't the total cut-off that some might think as I feel that whilst this story might educate a younger audience and they might still like it, it seems like it might work better for older people whether it be people familiar with the history or grown up Nolan fans or people who'll be able to handle the dark and heady themes of this almost 3 hour narrative.

This is all assumption on my part, I also wonder if there's gonna be swearing in it too though that would depend on if Nolan was aiming for an R or just simply wrote it not really knowing for sure what the final rating would be. Whatever the case he probably didn't get this film sent back to the Ratings board so he's most likely perfectly happy with the rating it was given.

As for Universal's motive in all this, I think because Nope made loads of money and that was pretty out there and R rated itself they just decided to give the same level of carte blanche (Opp was shooting before Nope's release so I more mean it being R rated and keeping the summer release date). Plus even if it doesn't do well at the box office, they can afford it since they've had success after success recently.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
June 2nd, 2023, 6:40 am
The rating does indeed surprise me (you'd expect Dunkirk to be R and Oppenheimer to be PG-13) but I think what's important to note is that whilst a PG-13 rating would make sense, it's the kind of story that's pretty damn mature and adult and dark and weighty. So I do think an R rating isn't the total cut-off that some might think as I feel that whilst this story might educate a younger audience and they might still like it, it seems like it might work better for older people whether it be people familiar with the history or grown up Nolan fans or people who'll be able to handle the dark and heady themes of this almost 3 hour narrative.

This is all assumption on my part, I also wonder if there's gonna be swearing in it too though that would depend on if Nolan was aiming for an R or just simply wrote it not really knowing for sure what the final rating would be. Whatever the case he probably didn't get this film sent back to the Ratings board so he's most likely perfectly happy with the rating it was given.

As for Universal's motive in all this, I think because Nope made loads of money and that was pretty out there and R rated itself they just decided to give the same level of carte blanche (Opp was shooting before Nope's release so I more mean it being R rated and keeping the summer release date). Plus even if it doesn't do well at the box office, they can afford it since they've had success after success recently.
This just made me wonder… do we think Universal agreed with this eagerly because they cut a deal for Chris to take on another project? A one for me, one for you kind of thing?

u2aerofan wrote:
June 2nd, 2023, 7:57 am
Waitedalongtime wrote:

This just made me wonder… do we think Universal agreed with this eagerly because they cut a deal for Chris to take on another project? A one for me, one for you kind of thing?
I doubt it personally for a lot of reasons. I think they're just willing to take a risk, plus it's probably not gonna be as brain melting as his other films which is most likely why not to mention the star studded cast.

Ace
Didn’t get a cover but the upcoming issue of Empire has a feature on Oppenheimer.
…go to LA to hunker down with Christopher Nolan as he finishes Oppenheimer

Waitedalongtime wrote:

good point

u2aerofan wrote:
June 2nd, 2023, 7:57 am
Waitedalongtime wrote:

Universal agreed because what sane studio wouldn’t want someone as prestigious and influential as Christopher Nolan to represent their studio for a film.

Ace

Nolan did a DGA discussion with Karyn Kusama about Destroyer, which Phil Hay cowrote. They must've gotten friendly.

So Nolan have shown OPPENHEIMER to his Hollywood peers.